Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for CLI from Capital One

tag
indiasnowden
Regular Contributor

Denied for CLI from Capital One

I asked for a CLI to cover dental work and the rep said I was denied. The denial letter stated the only reason is that they are not allowed to issued customer initiated CLIs at this time, only bank initiated CLIs. Then the next day I get another letter from CapOne stating that I have been preapproved for a $30K auto loan? Are they crazy?

Starting Score: 'All three mid 500s as of 1/1/16
EQ: 633 6 TU: 644 EX: 634 as of 3/11/17 via MyFico
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied for CLI from Capital One

Seems counterintuitive, doesn't it?  But I'd surmise that the reasoning is that an auto loan is secured by real property - the car.  They probably figure that if you were to default on the loan, they'd just take the car and then try to collect the remaining balance after the auction.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean if I don't pay my crap1 cc bill they won't repo my month gum purchase? phew!

Message 3 of 14
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Trying to get a CLI from CapOne is like pulling teeth (no pun intended), during the past holiday season they were in the giving mood, seems like every other post was about someone getting a CLI from them, but I guess they're back to their old way and no longer in the spirit of giving mood. I'm definitely going to drop them, paying an AF on a $500 no rewards card and is stingy when it comes to CLI's is no longer needed in my wallet. Capone has served it's purpose with me.. 

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 4 of 14
adwhit1

Yeah I just closed my Crap1 card the other day. Had it for about 5 yrs and still had the same $300 dollar limit and AF. I kept it hoping that one day they would give me a CLI. After calling all the backdoor numbers and not getting anywhere this past month, I just let them go.....Good Luck!!

Airborne All the Way!!!!
Message 5 of 14
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

While I don't think too highly of Cap1, you all should consider opening another non-AF card with them then combining. Then you'd ditch the AF but keep the history.

Just a thought.

Message 6 of 14
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I thought Cap 1 doesn't allow combining. Plus I don't think I would want another Cap 1 card, if I'm going to use an inq, it would be on a card that I've had my eyes on. I would hate to get another $500 limit card from them..LOL

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 7 of 14
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Gibran wrote:

I thought Cap 1 doesn't allow combining. Plus I don't think I would want another Cap 1 card, if I'm going to use an inq, it would be on a card that I've had my eyes on. I would hate to get another $500 limit card from them..LOL

Cap1 doesn't do product change. So you can't upgrade your crappy card to a better one. They only allow you to open a new card and combine the two. Whether it's worth the inq to do so is up to you. You can however, call and ask if they'll waive the AF. If so keep the card and call back next year. If not, definitely consider kicking them to the curb.

Message 8 of 14
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

I've been a Cap One customer since April 2008, No Hassle Cash Rewards Visa. Excellent credit category but they started me out with $300 and bumped it up to $500 by Sept 2008. I've been there ever since.

Called Cap One last week to see about doing a product change and they told me my account is not eligible for the upgrade. The CSR acknowledged me as an excellent customer and said if I wanted the upgrade, to apply for a new card. I'll pass on that offer....if they're not increasing credit lines for excellent customers, that tells me I've got no chance at all of being approved for a new card...scores in the 740 range too.

Message 9 of 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

I dont think they do combining anymmore...

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.