Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for CSP due to short credit history

tag
wantmyCSP
New Visitor

Denied for CSP due to short credit history

Hi all,

I've lurked here for a while, but first time posting.

Here's my situation:

I was turned down for the CSP due to not having enough of a credit history. However, I have 9 open accounts and an average age of accounts of 12 years. I am 37 and have had a student loan that I have paid religiously since I graduated more than 10 years ago. I have been an authorized user on two of my spouse's credit card accounts for 10 years (one has a CL of $8K, the other has a CL of $22K). We used to have a joint account (from 2000-2007) but closed it due to just not needing it at the time. I have one department store account which I have had open for 4 years.

I have absolutely no negatives of any kind on any of my credit reports: no delinquencies, no bankruptcies, etc. I am currently the primary breadwinner in my household, but feel I am being punished for the years when my spouse was the primary breadwinner and I relied on her credit and never bothered to get a card of my own. Now that I want one, they tell me I haven't proven creditworthiness due to my short credit history. Really?

Besides this inquiry for the CSP, I have had no inquiries in the past 2 years. I make $125K/year and only pay $750/month in rent (we pay $1500 total). I have lived in my current aparrtment for 4+ years.

The only reason I finally decided to get a card of my own is because I just started a new job in February of this year and for the first time in my career, I will be doing a lot of business travel. I figure now is the time to take advantage of points/rewards, etc. However, I do not NEED a credit card. My spouse and I are hyper-responsible and PIF every single month.

But because I am just an authorized user on her accounts, they don't care. They don't feel my SLs or my department store card mean anything. And for some reason my Experian report is the only one of the 3 reports that does not include the joint account we once had and closed in '07. (I just pulled all 3 of my credit reports to see if anything fishy was going on; despite some inconsistencies between them, they look accurate overall.)

Thoughts? Should I try to get them to recon? Should I try to get them to just give me the Freedom card for now? Should I mention that my other 2 credit reports show the joint account (it had a CL of $5400)?

Lastly, will calling for a recon require another HP?

THANKS!!!!!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Denied for CSP due to short credit history

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry you didn't ask here before you applied but Chase does not consider  AU credit history nor dept store cc's.  You could try to recon but it may not be successful and if you want them to look at other bureaus, they would have to pull them. 

Message 2 of 17
wantmyCSP
New Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think they would allow me to fax/scan the report I just pulled, so they don't have to pull it?

If you think I shouldn't even bother trying with Chase, should I try someone less finicky, like CapOne? Should I wait six months?

Lastly, I should mention that the last time I checked I had a FICO score of 817, although that was a year ago. Just got my Equifax score today when I pulled my credit report and it was 721.

Message 3 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@wantmyCSP wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think they would allow me to fax/scan the report I just pulled, so they don't have to pull it?

If you think I shouldn't even bother trying with Chase, should I try someone less finicky, like CapOne? Should I wait six months?

Lastly, I should mention that the last time I checked I had a FICO score of 817, although that was a year ago. Just got my Equifax score today when I pulled my credit report and it was 721.

No, they will not accept any reports from you. 

I would look into the Amex Cards- I don't think you'd have any problems. 

Message 4 of 17
rlx01
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry you didn't ask here before you applied but Chase does not consider  AU credit history nor dept store cc's.  You could try to recon but it may not be successful and if you want them to look at other bureaus, they would have to pull them. 

The thing about not considering AU accounts is very YMMV... Smiley Happy

But yes. Anyone with high income and 'short history' should always hit up Amex first.

Message 5 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@rlx01 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

The thing about not considering AU accounts is very YMMV... Smiley Happy

True but with no rev bank cc historythey are less likely to approve

Message 6 of 17
wantmyCSP
New Visitor

Thanks for all the help!

OK, last questions, I swear:

If I go with AmEx, is there a particular card you feel I'm more likely to have luck with?

And, should I just go ahead an apply for an AmEx immediately, or should I let some time pass due to the Chase HP? As I mentioned, I don't have any other HPs on record in the last two years, but I know each one can be a drag on your CS nonetheless.

Message 7 of 17
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Try for a charge card, all have the same uw. If approved, go for a revolving to try and get 2 for 1hp.
Message 8 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@wantmyCSP wrote:

Thanks for all the help!

OK, last questions, I swear:

If I go with AmEx, is there a particular card you feel I'm more likely to have luck with?

And, should I just go ahead an apply for an AmEx immediately, or should I let some time pass due to the Chase HP? As I mentioned, I don't have any other HPs on record in the last two years, but I know each one can be a drag on your CS nonetheless.

What are you looking for in a card? Travel only? Do you fly a particular airline? Fav hotel chain?

Message 9 of 17
wantmyCSP
New Visitor

I'm not super loyal to one airline or hotel, although I have the most miles built up with Delta and Marriott, respectively.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.