cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Chase Freedom..advice please!

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied for Chase Freedom..advice please!

@Sitori wrote:

Oh wow I didnt know that. A credit rebuilding agency told me to open the First Premeire and to charge around 125$ a month and pay it off in full each month. So you're saying I should carry over a balance instead of paying off in full? These people obviously are telling me the wrong info lol. My current report is stating "balance is to high on bank revolving accounts." So does that mean I'm charging too much each month? This is so confusing and I have people telling me different things. What would be the best way to do it? Charge a small amount and pay it off? Charge more and then pay the minimum balance? What should I leave as the balance if I need to carry one?

You said that FP isn't a great card, so is there anything else I could get approved for? With possibly a higher CL?? $300 is killing me.

First of all, a credit rebuilding agency, unless its non-profit, is most likely a big SCAM.

If your credit report says that your balance is too high, that means that the balance you let report is way to high compared to your limit.  You cannot get a higher limit right now unless you go the secured route as someone suggested earlier.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Aw man, thats just my luck. Smiley Frustrated  

I will go ahead and do as everyone is saying and apply for a retail card of some sort. What about Amazon or Macys? 

Oh and if I am approved, should I close my FP card or keep it open a few months longer? I heard that closing an account may be worse than just keeping it open, but that might not be the case for FP! I would hate to apply next year and have the FP be the reason people turn me down.

Thanks so much for your help!  I would be lost without this board. Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 12 of 58
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would apply for a store card and close fp card b/c it has an annual fee. It makes no sense. I don't know what credit agency would advise someone to open up the worst card in history. It sounds like a scam. No one can build your credit or repair it but you.
As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 13 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found out today Chase isn't particularly fond of student loans. During my CLI recon, the analyst stated the only thing that brought attention to anything on my entire CR was my SL's and was asked a bunch of questions about them. Some are in deferrment but I am still paying them as if they were not.

Message 14 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:
I would apply for a store card and close fp card b/c it has an annual fee. It makes no sense. I don't know what credit agency would advise someone to open up the worst card in history. It sounds like a scam. No one can build your credit or repair it but you.

I went to the company because I honestly had no clue about what to do with my report, or how to start building. I figured if anything, they could atleast help me dispute the items that should have been gone a long time ago, which they did. I now have nothing negative on my EQ and TU (EX has one). I'm sure I could have done it all myself if I had known about these boards at that time, or had someone to point me in the right direction. I'm happy they helped with cleaning up my reports, but your right in asking why they would sign me up with a horrible company. That's pretty disappointing.

I guess I will close my FP next month.  I was thinking about Macy's but I read somewhere on this board that it does nothing for your score. I saw the Orchard card pushed a lot of people up 20+points. And maybe they are more respected than the FP?  I will have to look into it more. But if that FP card is hurting me, I'll definitely get rid of it.

Thanks again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 15 of 58
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

Oh wow I didnt know that. A credit rebuilding agency told me to open the First Premeire and to charge around 125$ a month and pay it off in full each month

FIRE THEM IMMEDIATELY

Amex has been known to turn customers away who use First Premier in the past, no one likes to see First Premier since it's for people with severely bad credit. It can be a clear indication that you had a rough past, that could mean you just had bad things removed aged off or worse disputed things off without paying =O lol

Secured cards are great cause it shows you don't live paycheck to paycheck and showed that you saved money to put into there as well.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 16 of 58
distantarray
Established Contributor

1. Get an authorized user account if you can (someone puts you on their credit card giving you 100% of their credit history off that card) your not liable for the bill, but you can get YEARS of credit history. Just explain they don't have to give you the card, if they don't give you the card it's zero liablity for them and nothing to lose on their end. only thing that could happen is they drive the balances really high screwing up your credit to debt ratio, but if a responsible person adds you it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Get a Walmart card to track your Fico08 TU fico score, then get a secured credit card from  DCU  to get your free FICO04 EQ score. Then get one PSECU if you live in PA for your Fico04 Experian score.    then get one with your current bank or credit union if possible. That should be more than enough to start you off.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 17 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Sitori wrote:

Oh wow I didnt know that. A credit rebuilding agency told me to open the First Premeire and to charge around 125$ a month and pay it off in full each month

FIRE THEM IMMEDIATELY

Amex has been known to turn customers away who use First Premier in the past, no one likes to see First Premier since it's for people with severely bad credit. It can be a clear indication that you had a rough past, that could mean you just had bad things removed aged off or worse disputed things off without paying =O lol

Secured cards are great cause it shows you don't live paycheck to paycheck and showed that you saved money to put into there as well.

WOOWW well that's good to know!

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 18 of 58
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Walmart, Amazon, Macy's, Dillards,  Nordstrom, Lowes, Sears.... pick your poison Smiley Happy  Dont pick more than a couple as the inquiries will hurt you.  Dump First Premie as soon as you can. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 58
codimom
Frequent Contributor

^^^ this.  Walmart would be a good starter as its a: GE and they grow nicely and b: free tu score Smiley Happy

close that fp as soon as you can.. don't pay an AF for that garbage.

then garden garden garden!

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.