cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Chase Freedom..advice please!

tag
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Denied for Chase Freedom..advice please!

Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading, but this is my first post. After reading the positive reviews(and successful backdoor overturns) on the Chase Freedom card, I decided to give it a try. I was denied due to my short history, so I tried the backdoor number and after speaking to 3 different reps, I was still denied. I figured 3 times is enough so I wanted to know if I could get some advice on if I should try a different card, or if I should wait and reapply in the future.

Here's a bit of my history:

I just started building my history this year, but do have a student loan that I've been paying on since 2010(automatically debited every month). Chase said "they couldn't go on that"

My EQ is 689 (no baddies)

TU is 683 (no baddies)

EX is 639 (with one baddie, collections; which I'm trying to remove bc it's fraudulent) I'm having a hard time getting it removed though.

BTW...Chase also said, "we don't go by score."  Apparently the ONLY thing they go by is "credit history."  lol. *insert eye roll*

I have one First Premeire card, CL of $300 that has only been open since July. I pay it in full every month atleast a week before the due date.

I honestly just really want to get some more history under my belt and boost my scores up to the 700 line.(I want to buy a car next year).  One rep that I spoke with at Chase said that I could try to reapply at the 6 month mark. But the others said I needed at least a year. ( I told them I knew of quite a few people who were approved with much less than one year but they didn't seem to care)

Would you advise me to wait it out, or are there any other good cards I could apply for? I have 4 inquiries in the last 90 days so I will probably wait another couple of months, but what would you suggest? What about the Discover more? Or possibly a student card? I just want to be careful with the fee's and super low CL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied for Chase Freedom..advice please!

@Sitori wrote:

Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading, but this is my first post. After reading the positive reviews(and successful backdoor overturns) on the Chase Freedom card, I decided to give it a try. I was denied due to my short history, so I tried the backdoor number and after speaking to 3 different reps, I was still denied. I figured 3 times is enough so I wanted to know if I could get some advice on if I should try a different card, or if I should wait and reapply in the future.

I just started building my history this year, but do have a student loan that I've been paying on since 2010(automatically debited every month). Chase said "they couldn't go on that"

TU is 683 (no baddies)

EX is 639 (with one baddie, collections; which I'm trying to remove bc it's fraudulent) I'm having a hard time getting it removed though.

BTW...Chase also said, "we don't go by score."  Apparently the ONLY thing they go by is "credit history."  lol. *insert eye roll*

I have one First Premeire card, CL of $300 that has only been open since July. I pay it in full every month atleast a week before the due date.

I honestly just really want to get some more history under my belt and boost my scores up to the 700 line.(I want to buy a car next year).  One rep that I spoke with at Chase said that I could try to reapply at the 6 month mark. But the others said I needed at least a year. ( I told them I knew of quite a few people who were approved with much less than one year but they didn't seem to care)

Would you advise me to wait it out, or are there any other good cards I could apply for? I have 4 inquiries in the last 90 days so I will probably wait another couple of months, but what would you suggest? What about the Discover more? Or possibly a student card? I just want to be careful with the fee's and super low CL.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

a credit score really means nothing. they want to see how you handle other cards. the Firtst preimer isnt a great card to have open during recons i know this from experince.  you need to work on that baddie and get other cards. chase is a very hard lender to get a card from with out any other cards. Loans dont mean anything. they want to see something that you use monthly.  and when i rebuilding or building you need to let BAL's post so they know your using the card. if you let a $0 bal hit everymonth they dont know your true credit picture and your scores can go up if you let a $30 bal post (10%)

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 58
codimom
Frequent Contributor

You may want to investigate the secured card route, or maybe even a store card.  This will show the lenders that you do indeed know how to handle a credit card .  Talk to your bank or local credit union to see what they may have to offer.  After having a secured card for 6 months or longer (with no blips) you will look much more attractive to a lender like Chase.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 3 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Oh wow I didnt know that. A credit rebuilding agency told me to open the First Premeire and to charge around 125$ a month and pay it off in full each month. So you're saying I should carry over a balance instead of paying off in full? These people obviously are telling me the wrong info lol. My current report is stating "balance is to high on bank revolving accounts." So does that mean I'm charging too much each month? This is so confusing and I have people telling me different things. What would be the best way to do it? Charge a small amount and pay it off? Charge more and then pay the minimum balance? What should I leave as the balance if I need to carry one?

You said that FP isn't a great card, so is there anything else I could get approved for? With possibly a higher CL?? $300 is killing me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 4 of 58
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

first off that card is a rip off but we all have been there. by any chance was there a first preimer link they sent you in an email? Banks like seeing stuff post it shows them that you are using the card. if nothing posts no one knows your using it. do even bother doing a recon to a prime bank with an open first preimeir card. i tried with BoA and they said because of the 1st preimer card they cant give it to me but besides that my credit looked good. so i paid it off closed it and waited about 2 months and i  got the BoA 123 card, 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 5 of 58
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Never carry a balance if you do not need to. Just let the statement close with a balance, and then pay it off. I say you are worrying too much about this. First Premier is usually for people with bad credit, so that is why it is not seen in the best light. You stated that you only have student loans with a positive history, so I do not believe it would hinder your efforts of getting approved. If you shop in any stores you could try for those cards.

Macys was the first card I received and then Amazon. After 19 months of Macys, Chase instantly approved me for the Chase Amazon card, which shocked me. Anyway, everyone has to start somewhere and I understand your want to get a nice card with a high limit. However, most people starting out will not get that, and we have to take the small limits for a year or two, and then get nice high limits.

Also keep in mind that Chase is right about  not looking at a score. A score does not always indicate everything necessary to approve an application. Somone with a year of history can have a 700 score and someone with ten years may only have a 650. How you handle accounts is what is really important. So the best thing to do is either get a store card if you shop there or maybe a Capital One card that does not have an annual fee.

Message 6 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

first off that card is a rip off but we all have been there. by any chance was there a first preimer link they sent you in an email? Banks like seeing stuff post it shows them that you are using the card. if nothing posts no one knows your using it. do even bother doing a recon to a prime bank with an open first preimeir card. i tried with BoA and they said because of the 1st preimer card they cant give it to me but besides that my credit looked good. so i paid it off closed it and waited about 2 months and i  got the BoA 123 card, 

LOL wow. I wish I had known that before getting it. So should I just close it and get a store card instead? Or maybe an Orchard or student card?

I don't remember anything about a link. I literally signed up for this at the company who was "helping me build my credit"  I know I have to start somewhere so I don't mind, if it's actually helping me but if it's doing more harm than good, I'll close it and get something else if possible.

I know I am over worrying about it, but it's so complicated and so many things factor in. I just want to make sure I'm doing exactly what I need to do and not harming myself. It's hard to do that when so many people say so many different things

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 7 of 58
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

LOL wow. I wish I had known that before getting it. So should I just close it and get a store card instead? Or maybe an Orchard or student card?

I don't remember anything about a link. I literally signed up for this at the company who was "helping me build my credit"  I know I have to start somewhere so I don't mind, if it's actually helping me but if it's doing more harm than good, I'll close it and get something else if possible.

I know I am over worrying about it, but it's so complicated and so many things factor in. I just want to make sure I'm doing exactly what I need to do and not harming myself. It's hard to do that when so many people say so many different things

ok so it seems like they get money for everytime they sign some one up. try cap1 first. dont try discover chase BoA(unless its secured) citi. those are all prime banks and require alot of history. give us some background maybe we can help. 

Message 8 of 58
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Never carry a balance if you do not need to. Just let the statement close with a balance, and then pay it off. I say you are worrying too much about this. First Premier is usually for people with bad credit, so that is why it is not seen in the best light. You stated that you only have student loans with a positive history, so I do not believe it would hinder your efforts of getting approved. If you shop in any stores you could try for those cards.

Macys was the first card I received and then Amazon. After 19 months of Macys, Chase instantly approved me for the Chase Amazon card, which shocked me. Anyway, everyone has to start somewhere and I understand your want to get a nice card with a high limit. However, most people starting out will not get that, and we have to take the small limits for a year or two, and then get nice high limits.

Also keep in mind that Chase is right about  not looking at a score. A score does not always indicate everything necessary to approve an application. Somone with a year of history can have a 700 score and someone with ten years may only have a 650. How you handle accounts is what is really important. So the best thing to do is either get a store card if you shop there or maybe a Capital One card that does not have an annual fee.

Honestly, I don't care what the limit is. Even if it's barely anything, I just want more history and possibly a card from someone that isn't frowned upon as much as FP.

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 9 of 58
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Sitori wrote:

TU is 683 (no baddies)

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Hate to say it, but the fact that you have First Premier, may have done you more harm than good on recon. 

Generally speaking, Chase likes to see at least 8months to 1 year of solid revolving history.  What you might do now is go to Wal mart, JcPenneys, Lowes, Or amazon and apply for 1 or 2 retail credit cards...  They will probably approve you for some small limit.  After four months with the retail card, call and ask for a CLI and apply for Chase. 

At this point, stay away from Discover, Chase, or Amex until you have at least 9 months of good solid revolving credit history.  Right now you're sitting on about 4 months of revolving history with a company that doesn't have a good reputation.      Dont go crazy on apps.  One or two retail cards will do more good than if you apply for dozens.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.