Reply
Established Contributor
tennisfan78
Posts: 629
Registered: ‎09-18-2011
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


seigex wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

Did you happen to have a Discover card before and it went to collections?

 

Or was it with a different company?

 

 


never hard a discover, the old chargeoff was an aafes card I had when I was in the military in the 90s


Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Jutz
Posts: 1,216
Registered: ‎05-10-2012
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


tennisfan78 wrote:

seigex wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

Did you happen to have a Discover card before and it went to collections?

 

Or was it with a different company?

 

 


never hard a discover, the old chargeoff was an aafes card I had when I was in the military in the 90s


Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


I wouldn't assume that because OP got denied, other people with good profiles will also get denied.  I think Discover especially didn't like the look of 7 cards with average age of 7 months.  I think the rest of the profile looks great, I really can't imagine that a C/O that is several years old would cause the denial on its own.

  • Current: EQ FICO 694, TU FICO 695, EX FICO 698 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $29,500
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 6 TU 3 EX 6 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $5000
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $1000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $2400
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
New Contributor
LilNYC
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎07-08-2012
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


tennisfan78 wrote:

 

Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


 

You might get approved if the Discover CO alrady fell off your EQ report. I had a $890 CO w/ Discover from 8 years ago (no longer on any of my reports) & was approved for $4,000 last week. When I called Discover to find out my CL the rep said "let be the first one to welcome you to Discover." I tried to recon the CL & 2 diff. reps told me that since I'm new to Discover they want to see 6 months of acct history with them before giving me a higher CL. So  apparently they have absolutely no record of my old CO. I received 2 "invited to apply" letters from them before apping, but I pulled all 3 of my reports & no SP at all from Discover. YMMV though. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Established Contributor
tennisfan78
Posts: 629
Registered: ‎09-18-2011
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


LilNYC wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

 

Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


 

You might get approved if the Discover CO alrady fell off your EQ report. I had a $890 CO w/ Discover from 8 years ago (no longer on any of my reports) & was approved for $4,000 last week. When I called Discover to find out my CL the rep said "let be the first one to welcome you to Discover." I tried to recon the CL & 2 diff. reps told me that since I'm new to Discover they want to see 6 months of acct history with them before giving me a higher CL. So  apparently they have absolutely no record of my old CO. I received 2 "invited to apply" letters from them before apping, but I pulled all 3 of my reports & no SP at all from Discover. YMMV though. 


Thanks. I did check and it did fall off all my three credit reports.  I will think a bit and might go for it.

 


Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
seigex
Posts: 425
Registered: ‎05-16-2012
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


Jutz wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

seigex wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

Did you happen to have a Discover card before and it went to collections?

 

Or was it with a different company?

 

 


never hard a discover, the old chargeoff was an aafes card I had when I was in the military in the 90s


Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


I wouldn't assume that because OP got denied, other people with good profiles will also get denied.  I think Discover especially didn't like the look of 7 cards with average age of 7 months.  I think the rest of the profile looks great, I really can't imagine that a C/O that is several years old would cause the denial on its own.


for the record it was 5 cards 6 months ago, and 1 card 8 (almost 9) months ago

Lender Pull (11/3/12) FICO EX: 740 EQ: 680 TU: 702

NFCU VISA $17.5k / USAA AMEX $6k / USAA AMEX $4k / USAA VISA $4k / CHASE FREEDOM $3k / Capital One $500
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy
Posts: 6,213
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..

Wow.. This seems odd to me. I just got approved with a $4000 limit and 688 EQ Fico. My revolving history is like six years though. In fact, the majority of my credit history is credit cards. The only other debt I have is student loans ($36k). Discover is a tough cookie to crack though lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
Jutz
Posts: 1,216
Registered: ‎05-10-2012
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


seigex wrote:

Jutz wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

seigex wrote:

tennisfan78 wrote:

Did you happen to have a Discover card before and it went to collections?

 

Or was it with a different company?

 

 


never hard a discover, the old chargeoff was an aafes card I had when I was in the military in the 90s


Wow, that is crazy. I have been getting pre approved mail offers from Discover and I didnt apply as I have burned them in the past for $1000. This pretty much confirms that they would for sure not approve me too.

 


I wouldn't assume that because OP got denied, other people with good profiles will also get denied.  I think Discover especially didn't like the look of 7 cards with average age of 7 months.  I think the rest of the profile looks great, I really can't imagine that a C/O that is several years old would cause the denial on its own.


for the record it was 5 cards 6 months ago, and 1 card 8 (almost 9) months ago


Oh yeah, not judging or anything, frankly I think it's a little ridiculous with your profile you couldn't even get a recon, but i think the new accounts played a larger role than the charge off.  At least I hope they did.  Since I want this card in Jan/Feb and am left with just an old charge off.

  • Current: EQ FICO 694, TU FICO 695, EX FICO 698 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $29,500
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 6 TU 3 EX 6 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $5000
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $1000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $2400
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Established Contributor
tennisfan78
Posts: 629
Registered: ‎09-18-2011
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..


youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Wow.. This seems odd to me. I just got approved with a $4000 limit and 688 EQ Fico. My revolving history is like six years though. In fact, the majority of my credit history is credit cards. The only other debt I have is student loans ($36k). Discover is a tough cookie to crack though lol

Did you get approved for Discover this month?


Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
tennisfan78
Posts: 629
Registered: ‎09-18-2011
0

Re: Denied for Discover Card ..

Just wanted to update folks who are following this thread that I got instant approval from Discover for a CL of $4,500!!!!!

 

Thanks to Jutz, LilNYC for the suggestions and advice. I appreciate it!

 

OP: sorry for hijacking your thread.


Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+