Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Discover More... Pathetic reasons

tag
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Denied for Discover More... Pathetic reasons

Since I have decent score on all three bureau, I decided to give Discover a shot today. The 30 day notice appeared after my application but I ignored it anyway and called the application status department. After confirming my school address and other personal informations. The CSR said "Sorry, you have a very very good credit score at the prime standard, but it's unfortunate that we can't approve you at this time because you're attending a 2 year public school & not a University". I said I'm attending a 2 year school for my Police Academy and my AA program.. & tried explaining that it shouldn't affect my application approval. It should be approve base on my FICO score and all the other factors that plays into role. I decided to call the back door # for a recon, sadly I received the same information from another CSR stating because " I'm a college student at a community College". They suggested to app again once I got to a 4 year University( Which I will during spring). Honestly, I'm not going to bother with Discover anytime ever & take my business elsewhere. This is rediculous

TU- 726 (3 inq)

EQ- 747( 1 inq)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Re: Denied for Discover More... Pathetic reasons

They're denying you solely based on the 2 year vs 4 year college?  

I guess they can deny you for any reason they want. But this seems a bit discriminatory is you meet all their other requirements.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 17
MAstudent07
Contributor

I am in shock...Didn't know they could deny due to choice of school. It's ridiculous if you ask me. Smiley Mad

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 3 of 17
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Happened to me too...so dumb
amazon
Message 4 of 17
O-day
New Contributor

this happened to me 2 years ago when i was 18, it was the first card i applied for and i was also attending a 2 year college. its  a stupid reason to deny u a card with such great of scores. do u think they can take ur application to a regular non student card?

im sure u will get approved that way. if u just did this, u should go ahead and apply for it on the same day and it will count as one inq. because when i applied for amex a year ago, i applied for 3 cards the same day and it showed up as one inq

good luck my friend

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is ridiculous, apparently they want you to have MORE debt when you graduate.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did you app for student version ? Why not just the regular version?

Message 7 of 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

First Discover wasn't able to varify my school address so they App me as non-student, even though I told them I was a student. When they did that, I was denied for NON-Student app( Which I told her specifically that I'm a student). I called back and directly said I wanted to app as a student but the first CSR applied me for non-student because she couldn't locate my school address. After a several minutes they were able to varify my address, then app again for a student card. Yet, still denied. For the second app, The CSR said that it wasn't another inquiry but just an update on informations.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 8 of 17
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Discover is just like any credit card company. I've once spent sixty minutes on the phone with various departments within their customer service network about a simple question. Ridiculous, to say the least.

I only use my card for the 5% offers and Sam's Club purchases. Not bad but not my primary card for sure. Their general cashback is pathetic.

Relax and reapply if you still want it later. No reason to be upset even though it's absurd.

Message 9 of 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

Discover is just like any credit card company. I've once spent sixty minutes on the phone with various departments within their customer service network about a simple question. Ridiculous, to say the least.

I only use my card for the 5% offers and Sam's Club purchases. Not bad but not my primary card for sure. Their general cashback is pathetic.

Relax and reapply if you still want it later. No reason to be upset even though it's absurd.

It's difficult to relax after being denied for something so rediculous. The CSR stated " you have a prime score and you're definitely someone who would qualify for our card however, because of your 2 year community college we can't approve you at this time". I would totally understand if Discover denied me due to credit history, credit length or having a low FICO score, but being denied for not attending  4 year university is absolutely absurd. I wasted my time & inquiry on this dumb application. I will alert all my friends & family members not to apply for Discover based this horrible experience. I'll just enjoy my other 4 prime cards, & and lay-low on my credit application for now. I will never affiliate with Discover ever again.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.