Did you mean: 

Denied for Discover More... Pathetic reasons

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Denied for Discover More... Pathetic reasons

@TheCreditKid wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

Discover is just like any credit card company. I've once spent sixty minutes on the phone with various departments within their customer service network about a simple question. Ridiculous, to say the least.

I only use my card for the 5% offers and Sam's Club purchases. Not bad but not my primary card for sure. Their general cashback is pathetic.

Relax and reapply if you still want it later. No reason to be upset even though it's absurd.

It's difficult to relax after being denied for something so rediculous. The CSR stated " you have a prime score and you're definitely someone who would qualify for our card however, because of your 2 year community college we can't approve you at this time". I would totally understand if Discover denied me due to credit history, credit length or having a low FICO score, but being denied for not attending  4 year university is absolutely absurd. I wasted my time & inquiry on this dumb application. I will alert all my friends & family members not to apply for Discover based this horrible experience. I'll just enjoy my other 4 prime cards, & and lay-low on my credit application for now. I will never affiliate with Discover ever again.

You know, it's possible that their student card is limited to those at four-year colleges. (Sorry, this might have been posted, and I missed it.)

In other words, it's nothing to do with you, or your major, or your success, or your scores, or your career goals --maybe you have to be at a four-year college to get the card. For instance, I can't get the card, because I'm not a student anywhere.

If this is so, they should have made this clear on their site and saved you an app. But if it is, it just means that you're not in that category, just as you wouldn't be able to get my particular card from BofA, because it's meant for those in my particular professional group. (And big whoop, it's not that much of a card.)

Just another way of looking at it --poor communications on their part.  Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

True that could be the reason why I was denied for the 4 year college thing. However, they did app me as a non-student card before the student card when they couldn't varify my school address. I was denied both non-student and regular card.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 12 of 17
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

You never know. Perhaps you'll have a Discover later in your life. Never say never.

Their customer service is definitely overrated. Ok, they're all Americans but it is hard to communicate a problem that is just a tad more complex than the simplest most common issues. I hope I won't have to call them up ever again. I just want to pay my balance, get my cashback and be left alone.

A wasted inquiry hurts. That happened to me with Chase a bit ago for the Freedom with an EQ score in the 760s, $20k CL, perfect payment history, four years AAoA. Then, recently, I turn on Judge Judy and see a big loser who doesn't pay his bills tell people that he has two Chase CCs on which he "sometimes" makes payments. Ironic!

It would be fairer if creditors would just tell you what exactly they want in a customer for a certain product. But then, there is no rhyme or reason often! You'll eventually get all the prime cards you want.

Message 13 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@TheCreditKid wrote:

It's difficult to relax after being denied for something so rediculous. The CSR stated " you have a prime score and you're definitely someone who would qualify for our card however, because of your 2 year community college we can't approve you at this time". I would totally understand if Discover denied me due to credit history, credit length or having a low FICO score, but being denied for not attending  4 year university is absolutely absurd. I wasted my time & inquiry on this dumb application. I will alert all my friends & family members not to apply for Discover based this horrible experience. I'll just enjoy my other 4 prime cards, & and lay-low on my credit application for now. I will never affiliate with Discover ever again.

My only comment is to try and not make any credit decisions based on emotion. About 3 years ago Citi jacked my rates from 7.9% to 24.99%. Of course my first instinct was to immediately close the account but I decided to leave it open and play their game. I use it occasionally but haven't paid them a penny in interest since that rate jack.

Just food for thought.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Okay, I called Discover again for a better explanation today. Basically they gave me the same reasons why I was denied ( 2 year college). They suggested again to establish more payment history with my other cards OR enroll myself in a University then app again. Thanks everyone for the responses, I'll try not to take this personal Smiley Very Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 15 of 17
chris6291
Established Member

Creditkid, I would call again to the Utah credit dept and ask for a reconsideration. Last month I applied for a student discover more card and got 7-10 message. The next day, I called that center and she told me I was denied for going to a two year college. However, the nice lady started asking me my income(25k) and time of employment and then put me hold;came back and offered me regular discover more card! I was so happy! She issued me a beginning 1500 limit with 19.99% interest. They pulled TU which was 682 (1 inq). EQ 673(8 inq). I have about 1 year 3 month aaoa. I just opened a shell card and jcp card this same month. This was a lucky shot because if they had pulled EQ I would not have gotten approved. So just call them and ask for a recon on the same credit file. Ask if they can approve you for a more card. If I can get approved with 600 scores, you definitely can with 700 scores!

Starting Score: EX 568 | TU 569 | EQ 568
Current Score: EX 579 | TU 582 | EQ 570
Goal Score: EX 700 | TU 690 | EQ 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 17
chris6291
Established Member

Oh btw, I don't have an Amex (applied for Zync>>denied!) but so far Discover has had the best customer service.

Starting Score: EX 568 | TU 569 | EQ 568
Current Score: EX 579 | TU 582 | EQ 570
Goal Score: EX 700 | TU 690 | EQ 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.