cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for USAA MC - Who Is Early Warning Services? Another CRA?

tag
geekhou05
New Contributor

Denied for USAA MC - Who Is Early Warning Services? Another CRA?

I apped for a USAA MC and was declined based on information from Early Warning Services (a CRA I guess). My EX FICO is 710 - no collections, 3 INQs 13% UTIL.

Has anyone heard of these folks? I'm going to call them tomorrow to get my FREE report.

Geek.

We are unable to approve your credit card application

Thank you for your credit card application. We regret that we're unable to open an account for the following reasons:

• Prior loss experience with another financial institution

The consumer reporting agency which provided information that influenced our decision, in whole or in part, was:

Early Warning Services, LLC
    8777 E. Hartford Drive, Suite 110
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255
    1-800-204-4616
    www.early-warning.com

The consumer reporting agency did not make this decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we have taken this action. You do, however, have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. You also have a right to a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days from receipt of this notice. If any information in the report is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for USAA MC - Who Is Early Warning Services? Another CRA?

@geekhou05 wrote:

I apped for a USAA MC and was declined based on information from Early Warning Services (a CRA I guess). My EX FICO is 710 - no collections, 3 INQs 13% UTIL.

Thank you for your credit card application. We regret that we're unable to open an account for the following reasons:

Not sure who they are exactly but looking at the website they look more security oriented and not like a typical CRA. It seems like they gave you the generic reason so the question is do you know what they are talking about? You said no collections so I'm not sure what " Prior loss experience with another financial institution" means but that sure sounds like collections or something was written off in the past. Have you had any problems with ID theft in the past?  

Message Edited by idmd on 11-29-2009 09:13 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 11-29-2009 09:14 PM
Message 2 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

They are a CRA of sorts, but oriented towards fraud prevention. (More on the order of a ChexSystems for retailers.) This may be one of the organizations out there that is heavily involved in monitoring merchandise returns. When you find out what's going on here please post the answer back in this thread so I will be notified. I am highly interested in knowing exactly what's up. If you find out that the information on file for you is bogus dispute it and ask USAA for recon.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 11-29-2009 09:27 PM
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The source here can't be verified and may not have a clue but this points you in the right direction.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/banking/early-warning-services.html 

Message Edited by idmd on 11-29-2009 09:23 PM
Message 4 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

geekhou05 wrote:

Has anyone heard of these folks? I'm going to call them tomorrow to get my FREE report.

Geek.

We are unable to approve your credit card application

The consumer reporting agency which provided information that influenced our decision, in whole or in part, was:

Early Warning Services, LLC
    8777 E. Hartford Drive, Suite 110
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255
    1-800-204-4616
    www.early-warning.com

The consumer reporting agency did not make this decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we have taken this action. You do, however, have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. You also have a right to a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days from receipt of this notice. If any information in the report is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency.

Have you ever entered a fraud report on a previous credit account? Did you ever have a charge-off or collection?

I can't figure how much of what they look at is fraud risk (such as identity theft) and how much is having previous problems with other lenders.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

My interpretation of the statement from USAA and the website of EWS is that this relates to another entity's previous loss. It sounds like EWS could be even more difficult to deal with than ChexSystems (which is very difficult). If I was flagged like this I wouldn't be too happy about it. It is either accurate and a show stopper or inaccurate and a PITA to correct. Both are bad.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have this on their 'About Us' page, it shows they are partially owne by BoA and Chase so no wonder they are hard to work with,

"Early Warning Services is a limited liability company owned by Bank of America, BB&T, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo. Bank ownership offers unique perspective and helps facilitate openness and accelerates information sharing in the effort to thwart fraud."

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They have this on their 'About Us' page, it shows they are partially owne by BoA and Chase so no wonder they are hard to work with,

"Early Warning Services is a limited liability company owned by Bank of America, BB&T, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo. Bank ownership offers unique perspective and helps facilitate openness and accelerates information sharing in the effort to thwart fraud."

Hmmm, banks actually starting to work together and share information?? Interesting concept.
Message 8 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm, banks actually starting to work together and share information?? Interesting concept.

Nothing new here DickC. EWS has been around for awhile and ChexSystems has been around a very long time (decades). Both are technically CRA's and subject to FCRA and both would like you to think they aren't.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never heard of this place but more institutions are looking at different sources to find information. A couple that I know of are Innovis

located in Columbus Ohio and ARS Advanced Resolution Services Inc. Located in Independence Ohio both are very big and ARS is a subsidiary of VISA. I have received both reports from these places and what they have in them isn't that much different from your regular reports at the big three just a bit more detailed. You can request your reports from these companies without being denied for credit, just contact them and they will send them to you.

Advanced Resolution Services Inc.

6111 Oak Tree Blvd Suite 400

Independence OH 44131

800-392-8911 Fax 216-615-7642

Innovis Consumer Information Services

P.O. Box 1534

Columbus, Oh 43216-1534

800-540-2505

Hope this helps, I'll have to check this place out Early Warning Services just to see what they have on me in their files. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.