cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for target red card....what's next?

tag
minnie77
Established Member

Denied for target red card....what's next?

I recently applied and was denied a target card. (FICO score 669, 2 paid charge offs from 08, no other credit cards since) They said my credit score was too low (627) and my address does not match my credit file since I recently moved. Where do I go from here? Attempt a recon? Speaking to a Target rep I was under the impression they don't do recon, I would have to reapply. What card would be a good fit?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
txmomma26
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied for target red card....what's next?

Have you tried a Capital One - unsecured or secured? Maybe a Comenity backed card via the shopping cart trick?

Your scores aren't awful - you should be able to get something to start building a file.

Start: (2-26): EQ 602 (Myfico) TU 579 (Credit Karma) EX 634 FAKO
Current: (7-12): EQ 690(myfico) WalmartTU 696 EX 689 (lender 6-3)
1st Goal: 680 across the board - DONE June 2013!
2nd Goal: 725 across the board
Message 2 of 7
flyingace
Valued Member

@minnie77 wrote:
I recently applied and was denied a target card. (FICO score 669, 2 paid charge offs from 08, no other credit cards since) They said my credit score was too low (627) and my address does not match my credit file since I recently moved. Where do I go from here? Attempt a recon? Speaking to a Target rep I was under the impression they don't do recon, I would have to reapply. What card would be a good fit?

Yeah, they don't do recons... you could always try to call into 1-800-659-2396 and see if perhaps it was declined because of the address (TGT seems to be a tad easier to get w/ toy limits than most)... I had to call into that number, but it was to verify since my address didn't match, either. 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 3 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

You smile, they could of approved you for a $200 CL, that won't grow with you in this decade. Just keep working on getting baddies off your credit report, Try with CapOne they may have an unsecured card with your name on it or at least a secured one. After you get a 2-3 cards garden for 6 months and then companies will be giving you cards. Especially if you get bad marks off your credit, don't agree to pay baddies unless they are going to remove them from your report.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 7
minnie77
Established Member

My charge offs were with chase and Capital one, so I was hoping to avoid capital one but I might apply and see what happens. The target rep told me that I would have to call the credit bureau to change my address then target would be able to verify if I applied again. She didn't seem to see anything that negative on my report though because she told me I was doing the right things and to try again in a few months. Maybe I was borderline? Before reapplying perhaps I should dispute the charge offs and maybe they will drop off? I wonder if a thin file would be better than a bad one in my case.
Message 5 of 7
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Don't worry too much. If u would have been approved all you would have got is $200-$300. 

Message 6 of 7
Someoneudontknow
Valued Member

I agree with the others.  I would not bother with Target Red Card.  There starting limits are $200.  Not worth the time to have.  I have this card since 2007 with a $200 limit and has not increased at all.  

Best chance of getting a CC w/ your current score.  I would try Comenity backed retail cards or GE backed retail cards.

First try the shopping cart trick for Comenity CC's, all you do is put some items in your shopping cart go through checkout process and before you enter in credit/debit card information the pre-approval pop up will show up if eligible.  I would try Victoria Secret, Express, JCrew, HSN, Buckle and Ann Taylor LOFT...These are soft pulls

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.