cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for too many inquires in the past 2 years?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Denied for too many inquires in the past 2 years?

Anyone seen it happen? 

I was just looking over my inquires. now all of them will be over the year hump august 30th. ON my reports by then will be.

1 will fall off tu in march, so ill have tu-5 eq-6 and ex-7(all over a year) (my bank tripled pulled me for a overdraft line that I got declined for) (amex triple pulled) (and auto loan triple pulled twice) all in the same day so 4 inqs on each report all on 8-30-12 lol. 

Lets just say that that number will stay like that until feb 2/2014 since that's when they will start dropping off. 

Now I know it doesn't effect fico score but has anyone been declined for having to many inquires in the past 2 years? I mean if a bank really wanted too be stingy. 

I know I wont be apping sporadically or even anymore sprees, but 2 years seems such a long time right now. (when I legit plan on apping for my next amex-that will backdate to 1-12) hopefully. 

Also i have excel formulas that show if i dont open any new accounts my aaoa will be 2 years 9 months, my oldest card being 4 years 2 months. 

and adding the 3 year backdated amex will bring my aaoa to 2 years 10 months.

im just overthinking on a thursday is all. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied for too many inquires in the past 2 years?

I was decline for too many inquiries with Chase... most were for mortgage process. I was approved on recon for a 5k CL.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 23
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Yeah, both Chase and AMEX. Recon and got approved once I pointed out that I am sure I am not the only one with many inquires. Good scores, never late, pay in full almost always bla bla bla. I think it's a simple reason for decline that should always be answered with a recon attempt. 

Message 3 of 23
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

CLI denial from Walmart says "Too many inquiries last 12 months".  Doesn't say 2 years so 12 months is the limit.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 23
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I think the 13th-24th month comes more into play during a manual review. But I have been denied before for too many inquiries when I had 1 on EQ and 1 on EX in the past 12 months, but with more inquiries between the 1 and 2 year mark.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 23
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

im happy with my current cards. 

except for a cli on my freedom, another amex. my lease is up aug '15 so i have to keep tthat in mind. 

i havent decided whether to refinance this car or finance a new car with a giant down payment. 

if i kept mine i would only have to finance about 5k which almost seems trivial, compared to the value, unless i keep the money im saving...

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 23
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I was denied by AMEX for a 2nd card, but that was one of a few reasons. My account was new (2 months old) at the time. I had other new cards, my loans were reporting as double what was really owed (since fixed), plus two 5+ year old baddies.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 7 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Never heard of past 2 years; most say past 12 months. Sounds like they are just pulling things out of their hat

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 23
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

nope 2 yrs is way to long to impact the approval.Is just an excuse.PLease recon.

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 9 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@astritaho1979 wrote:

nope 2 yrs is way to long to impact the approval.Is just an excuse.PLease recon.

Lender underwriting can deny for whatever reason they deem appropriate, and lender underwriting is ultraconservative in today's instant gratification culture.

While I tend to agree it shouldn't be a large factor, we've had anecdotal reports of people receiving the denial reason of "too many inquiries" with a single inquiry on the report, and it's being aged more than a year at that.  Granted, it wasn't in the top 2 and anything outside of that in my opinion might as well be determined by the ubiquitous lender Oujia board but occasionally it can factor. 

        
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.