cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied my 3x increase! (update on page 8)

tag
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied my 3x increase!

Have you checked the status of your CLI? Did you do it by phone or online?

Message 41 of 80
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Several posters have questioned the wisdom of seeking such credit limits with such a low income, and i'll join that crowd. You are the same age many of us were (i'm 37 now) when we began getting credit, and eventually, after one CLI after another, we found ourselves in Chapter 7 BK. There is no reason why a 21yo "needs" such a credit line, particularly based on your income. You're 21, so you won't listen to a word any of us say....and frankly, I don't expect you to because at 21yo you already know it all (so did I). That said, be careful with what you are seeking, it sounds like the denial was the right decision on the banks part.

Message 42 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

You're 21, so you won't listen to a word any of us say....and frankly, I don't expect you to because at 21yo you already know it all (so did I). 

+1

At 21, I knew everything.  Now, I realize 1/2 the things I knew at 21 were wrong.  And, finally, in another 20 years, I'll realize, everything I knew at 21 were wrong all along.

It's far less costly to learn from other's experiences, than pay the price and learn it ourselves.

Message 43 of 80
jboy1972
New Contributor

+1  Well said! Smiley Happy

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 44 of 80
R3DLINE
Established Member

In no way do I agree with what Creditscholar said..... in no way was he constructive. 

I am in school full time and am working 32 hours a week. There is no way to increase my income at this time.... nor a need to. 

AS I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES.... I Never thought I was entitled to a 3x increase..... nor am i mad I was denied.

I was simply telling you guys the situation that happened. 

I have also said..... I was planning on actually decreasing my credit myself.... but everybody advises against me closing those two accounts.

Also.... my last 5k in credit I got I did not even ask for.... and now capital one wants to increase me just to keep me.

Its not like im trying extremely hard to get more. But apparently im qualified for it....... 

ECU: 7000 (6.25% Fixed) -- Chase Freedom: 3000 (19.99%) -- Citi Dividend: 3000 (13.25%) -- Amex: 2000 (?% promo 0%) -- UWCU: 2.5k (11.45%) -- Barclay Apple: 1500 (Will never use again) -- Paypal: 2.6k (Use for promo 0% only) -- Cap 1: 2000 (Sock drw. 22.99%) -- Cap 1: 2000 (sock drw. 19.99%)

ECU auto loan (2.99% for 72 months on 2013 Dodge Avenger V6)
Senior in school for Civil Engineering

Scores: TU: 713 EQ: ? EX: 698
Message 45 of 80
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Thanks again for restating your original comments. Good luck with your studies and keeping your nose to the grindstone! Smiley LOL
Message 46 of 80
enharu
Super Contributor

@R3DLINE wrote:

In no way do I agree with what Creditscholar said..... in no way was he constructive. 

I am in school full time and am working 32 hours a week. There is no way to increase my income at this time.... nor a need to. 

AS I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES.... I Never thought I was entitled to a 3x increase..... nor am i mad I was denied.

I was simply telling you guys the situation that happened. 

I have also said..... I was planning on actually decreasing my credit myself.... but everybody advises against me closing those two accounts.

Also.... my last 5k in credit I got I did not even ask for.... and now capital one wants to increase me just to keep me.

Its not like im trying extremely hard to get more. But apparently im qualified for it....... 

Look at it this way.

The issues CS raised are what a credit analyst most likely would if you tried to appeal that decision.

An analyst would first be curious about why you need this CLI so desperately to the extent that you're even trying to appeal the initial decision.

You said you wanted it for bragging rights. Any analyst probably will have the same or similar reaction as what CS did, though they will not present it that way to you.

Secondly, he did raise legitimate questions. You have a brand new car loan, with 20k income, and yet you're hell bent on trying to get a CLI out of Amex. Any analyst might think this the wrong way and start assuming you're being desperate for credit.  

Even if you said you wanted the CLI to finance a purchase, the analyst will probably raise questions about how you were going to finance such a large amount with your limited income.

Anyhow, your credit is in good shape right now. Don't decrease your own credit nor close any accounts for this. Amex isn't going to give you a 5k CLI just because you closed out 5k worth of CL elsewhere. It doesn't work this way. Most people gain less CL compared to the accounts they closed. Keep whatever you have, unless you absolutely have zero need for that account. The CLIs will come in time on their own, especially after your income goes up. A lot of people wish they can be in your situation when they're in their early 20s. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 47 of 80
broseph23
Regular Contributor

It's a pretty bad assumption to think that a 21 year old person thinks he/she "knows it all." We're not stupid. (well, not all of us! Smiley Very Happy) Alot of young people are a hell of a lot smarter than people in their 30s and 40s, I see it everyday. So I think to judge a young person and say they should "need" the credit they have at a young age with lower income, is just inappropriate. Props to OP for obtaining what you have at a young age. I know, and you know, that 10-20 years later, you'll be thanking yourself for being smart at this age. I know I will! At the end of the day, it doesn't even matter how much credit you have extended yourself, all that matters is that you spend within your means, and don't start carrying balances for unneeded purchases. Self-discipline is all that is needed.

Keep on rockin!

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 48 of 80
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Misunderstanding on both parts. Happens all the time in communication. 

Since when does Amex allow recons?

Message 49 of 80
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Amex really does not recon. If your cr they pulled was incorrect, they will ask you to fax over a corrected cr and it may be reviewed.

Message 50 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.