Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied, then approved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied, then approved?

Hi everyone.

I recently applied for the Capital One Secured MasterCard, and I instantly got denied because of the associates recommended me to apply as a full-time employee, even though I am a full time student. After days of calling and talking to people from Capital One, I got approved with a credit line of $200 after making my deposit. Although, I got a hard inquiry on my credit score and I still don't know if it's going to go away. 

Help, please? Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied, then approved?

Whenever you apply for credit, even secured cards, you are going to get an inquiry on your credit file. Capital One pulls from all 3 bureaus. 1 inquiry won't hurt you. Inquiries fall off your report after 2 years. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone.

I recently applied for the Capital One Secured MasterCard, and I instantly got denied because of the associates recommended me to apply as a full-time employee, even though I am a full time student. After days of calling and talking to people from Capital One, I got approved with a credit line of $200 after making my deposit. Although, I got a hard inquiry on my credit score and I still don't know if it's going to go away. 

Help, please? Thank you.

Congrats on your approval! Is it customary for Cap 1 to pull a credit report for their secured card? As far as I know, anytime a person applies for credit an inquiry (SP or HP) is needed. I'm sure others will chime in. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 6 months of god use and keeping it paid, they'll graduate it to a regular CC and give you a 300 CLI. They're great for rebuilding and after a year, those INQ's will not matter.
Message 4 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In 6 months of god use and keeping it paid, they'll graduate it to a regular CC and give you a 300 CLI. They're great for rebuilding and after a year, those INQ's will not matter.

I don't know where you get your info, CapOne secured cards do NOT grduate. Ever.

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First-hand experience fltireguy.

I sent a deposit of $49, they gave me a limit of $200, couple months later, I bumped it another $200 cash giving me a $400 limit. At the 6 month mark, they gave me a $300 CLI and converted it to a regular CC and took the "deposit more funds" link away.

So yes, it does graduate. I was never able to merge it with my QS, nor PC to something else, but for all intents and purposes, it did graduate from a secured card to a credit card.

I only speak from experience.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gardener76 did you end up getting the deposit you left at time of application refunded to you? or did they keep it and give you a cli?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They kept it and gave the CLI, making my available credit $700. When I closed it last month, they refunded the $249 I had invested in it.

It's a good card to rebuild with, it served its purpose, then i closed it. It'll stay on my reports as a positive tradeline for 10 years.
Message 8 of 9
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know where you get your info, CapOne secured cards do NOT grduate. Ever.

They do....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.