Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dental Loan

tag
TCJay
New Visitor

Dental Loan

I winter in FL and have been paying about $2000 for some cleanup dental work; however, I need a complete permanent bridge on my bottom and the dentist gave me the amount $11,000 and a CareCredit app for this.  I make a good $2100/month by myself through pensions and social security (with owned house here in FL).  My husband has another $3200 in pensions and social security.  I went to get a Wells Fargo line of credit yesterday and was turned down.  I know the reason but am trying to get around it. Our once principal home was over $150,000 under market and with owning 2 other homes, we tried to get BOA to work with us for 4 years on a reduced mortgage payment or deed in lieu, none of which panned out.  They have since foreclosed but I am NOT on the note with my husband so I have no liability to them (house in MI).  Therefore, I applied by myself but obviously my credit score is less than steller now because of the attorney's bills we had to pay.

I have some natural teeth on the bottom but knocked some loose and my bridge was broken in a fall I took last year.  There is NO alternative for me (my upper teeth are very nice) than to get a permanent bridge across the front and part way back of my lower teeth.  His estimate $11000 so that is what I applied for.

Nowhere on Care Credit do they ask about whether they can automatically withdraw money every month which I can afford, nor do they ask about a co-signer. They only ask if someone wants to be a co-participant in a card.  My son has his own dental plan.

Is there some alternative for me to get this work done and have it automatically withdrawn from my checking account each month.  I read some of the comments about trying to do this in "chunks" and that makes sense, but the dentist does have a great deal of work to do all at once or the bridge doesn't work.  Also even if I apply in chunks I am going to have the same problem unless I can either get a collateralized loan (my house in FL perhaps $40,000 value) or have them automatically withdraw payments.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dental Loan

I have no idea on what you propose. What I would do is head to Mexico, get an estimate down there and save for it, it will be a fraction of the cost in the USA.

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

go to carecredit.com and you can apply online with a joint cardholder if you wish and ask for $15k, they can counter.

Message 3 of 10
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Going abroad may save you money in the short term but if any complications occur you be paying more in the long term since you have to pay travel expenses etc. my advice would be to apply for care credit and choose say 15-20k and they will counter. If the counter is too low you can call within 24hrs and plead your case for an increase. Alternatively you could see if your dentist has payment plan options.
Message 4 of 10
newUser0
Established Contributor

All I can say is Dental is very expensive in US. If you really want to get it done cheaply, you can head to countries like India, UK (You need to check how to get a treatment under National Insurance) . These countries have a lot of doctors who completed their studies in US too. 

Message 5 of 10
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

All I can say is Dental is very expensive in US. If you really want to get it done cheaply, you can head to countries like India, UK (You need to check how to get a treatment under National Insurance) . These countries have a lot of doctors who completed their studies in US too.  +

+ 1 

It does sound like a daunting task but in the long run it won't cost you even half of US costs, even if you include Tickets, Lodging, other misc. expenses.

Message 6 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@TCJay wrote:

I winter in FL and have been paying about $2000 for some cleanup dental work; however, I need a complete permanent bridge on my bottom and the dentist gave me the amount $11,000 and a CareCredit app for this.  I make a good $2100/month by myself through pensions and social security (with owned house here in FL).  My husband has another $3200 in pensions and social security.  I went to get a Wells Fargo line of credit yesterday and was turned down.  I know the reason but am trying to get around it. Our once principal home was over $150,000 under market and with owning 2 other homes, we tried to get BOA to work with us for 4 years on a reduced mortgage payment or deed in lieu, none of which panned out.  They have since foreclosed but I am NOT on the note with my husband so I have no liability to them (house in MI).  Therefore, I applied by myself but obviously my credit score is less than steller now because of the attorney's bills we had to pay.

I have some natural teeth on the bottom but knocked some loose and my bridge was broken in a fall I took last year.  There is NO alternative for me (my upper teeth are very nice) than to get a permanent bridge across the front and part way back of my lower teeth.  His estimate $11000 so that is what I applied for.

Nowhere on Care Credit do they ask about whether they can automatically withdraw money every month which I can afford, nor do they ask about a co-signer. They only ask if someone wants to be a co-participant in a card.  My son has his own dental plan.

Is there some alternative for me to get this work done and have it automatically withdrawn from my checking account each month.  I read some of the comments about trying to do this in "chunks" and that makes sense, but the dentist does have a great deal of work to do all at once or the bridge doesn't work.  Also even if I apply in chunks I am going to have the same problem unless I can either get a collateralized loan (my house in FL perhaps $40,000 value) or have them automatically withdraw payments.

Depending on how involved the work is, you can get good work done for less at dental schools or at practices that have a sliding fee scale program.  I was accepted into such a program at a local dental clinic and had all four wisdom teeth extracted (one impacted), a cavity filled, and a couple cleanings done.  This was all free.  The downside in my case was that there was a queue for oral surgery and I had to wait months for the extractions.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 10
Stralem
Established Contributor

American health and dental care is so broken it makes me want to vomit.

Did your dentist rule out dentures? It's a less-than-appealing option, but it would be much cheaper than that small car loan you were quoted.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 8 of 10
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Canada is also a good option. You have to remember anything health related in the US is overpriced thanks to private insurance companies that have racketed up the pricing. Therefore, you can find cheaper and better treatment options abroad but you have to take into account if a complication does arise it could cost more.
Message 9 of 10
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@TCJay wrote:

Under no circumstances should you go into this level of debt in your retirement for dental work. Don't do it. You have options. https://shipnpr.shiptalk.org/Ship/SHIPProfileView.aspx?state=12

Contact your state health insurance program for elders. I have included a link. Ask to be screened for Medicaid. medicaid has more dental coverage than Medicare does. If you make too much money to qualify, you will be navigated to an affordable dental program where you can get care for much less than 11,000! 

good luck and thank goodness you posted here. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.