Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Department Store CC's for Bad Credit Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Department Store CC's for Bad Credit Scores

Hello All!

Sorry if there is already a topic on this, but I couldn't find one specifically on my question. Basically I have just started the path to rebuilding my credit. Long story short, I picked up some credit cards and really screwed up my credit with them. At the moment I have the CapOne $300CL card, and just recently got that in the past week or so. With that being the case, I'm looking to try and find another card that I have a decent shot of being accepted for. One site said my score was 562, and another said it was 510. I haven't purchased a service yet (that is another topic that I'm reading up on here and am looking for the best site for my needs). So basically I was just wondering if anyone knew of some department store credit cards that I have a high probability of being accepted for. In a perfect world I'd love to get something at like Best Buy, but have heard of some friends with much superior scores get declined from them, so am likely to just forget that dream. At this point I really don't even think I care which store it would be from, and just want something that I can make a few purchases every so often so I have a balance to pay. So, do you guys know of any particular stores I would have a good shot at being accepted with? Thanks in advance!

Also, if there already is a topic on this, I apoligize and feel free to merge it with another ongoing topic.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Department Store CC's for Bad Credit Scores

I would suggest buying at least 1 score from here at myfico.

you could get the best buy mastercard most likely but that will not be the same as store card

Macy's use to be a good option for a $100 or $200 starting line and they increase quickly

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have definitely looked into that, just wasn'te sure if when I bought a service that I plan to use monthly if maybe that would be included anywhere (I'm so new to being serious about this, I honestly don't know at this point). I'm surprised you say that about Best Buy (not saying you're wrong by any means at all, BTW). I just know my friend has a score in the high 600's and he was declined.

I will definitely be looking into Macy's, right now infact.

Message 3 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

no not best buy store card, best buy mastercard... two totally different products for HSBC.

if you do a search for pre approval link for best buy mastercard you can go do that and it will be a soft pull and they will make an offer to you.  if you then apply it will be a hard pull.

They seem to be offering the Gold card with no annual fee lately but CL's start at $100

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhh, I got you now... didn't even realize there was a difference. I will definitely have to search now to see if I can find a preapproved link for their preapproved card then. Thanks for the great info, it's much appreciated.

Message 5 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually found that after I posted my last reply, but thanks anyway for the link. To my surprise, I was actually approved for the $300CL (was expecting it to be at the $100 range)... Either way, very excited about this, especially since we are moving soon and could use some smaller and newer electronics around the new place Smiley Very Happy Once again,  Iw would like to thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

let these new accounts age for 6 months and you should be in a much better place to add some better cards... and congrats

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for... still not sure where I'm going to go for a better card (BoA hates me, so they're out of the picture lol), but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the rebuilding game! My scores are in the mid to high 600s for eq and tu, but high 500 for ex. However, just 5 months ago, I was dealing with very low 500s, so it can go fast if you go about it right, I promise and you are doing the best thing, learning and reading and coming here. I have learned the best info here, www.whogavemecredit.com, and others to check scores before applying to try not to wast an inquiry. My first card was First Premier, crazy apr, 79.9%, but I would say that if Capital One has given u a chance, then dont accept First Premier, they arent worth it and cap 1 is much better. Has Cap 1 sent u a letter telling u that you are in their credit steps program yet? I got it a month after getting the card, said if I paid 3 payments on time, didnt go over balance, I would get auto increase to 500 by 5th statement, I got balance to 500 before 3rd statement hit and csr told me u will stay in credit steps program till they take u out, getting auto clis every 90 days.

In May, I got a JcPenney card, in store, I have heard many many good stories about this card and u yoursel can check www.whogavemecredit .com and others for scores, they gave me in store instant credit of 200, my first store card, couldnt believe, so excited. Since May,  I have picked up the following:

Walmart 1200 (huge cl), chevron/texaco gas card 350, hsbc direct rewards discover (to replace my first premier) 300, Best buy reward zone mastercard 100 (joke, I know, was going to be a suggesstion but I see u tried it) and last but not least, today, paypal buyer credit 500.00

I am officially taking a credit hold, I cancelled the terrible first premier with the horrible rates, I have baddies that will mostly all fall off next year. I would recommend if you havent tried already, try GEMB, they back JcPenney (which u can use at cvs, rite aid,)walmart, chevron, paypal, lots others, obviously and luckily they luv me ;-)  Oh another good suggesstion, if u can, try to apply in the actual store, versus online, u tend to get approved more often and for bigger limits then if you do online. I would try Jcpenney, walmart, Macys, and Im sure you can find lots of other research about cards approved with ur scores. Otherwise, sit with yoru new Best buy card for about 4-6 months and u will be close. Good luck my friend!!

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.