$200k. I am within $9k of making that number!  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 21 of 31
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Desirable total CL?

@bodybuilder510 wrote:
Yes, no hards on all three. A soft pull on experian same day I requested the increase. The increase was approved with in 24 hours. I did in fact use the executive office for the increase but the gentleman was sure it would be a hard pull...

Nice bit of GL, gratz!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 22 of 31
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Desirable total credit line would be 10x of your normal expenditures.   So if you normally put 5k on cards in a month, you want at least 50k.  The goal is not to have to watch utilization and statement dates and have utilization under 10%.  This way credit score can stay healthy without payingfbefore statement date.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 23 of 31
voukephalas
Established Member

Hi,

I am a new member and have been reading with interest. My first post was going to be about credit limits, so this actually fits nicely.

I recenly upped my limits to a total of $75k across three cards (25k each). Is there any reason to regret increasing the limit in terms of my credit score (currently mid 700s)? The Amex limit has already been at 25k but I increased the CL on the other two. I have had about six hard pulls in the last six months but don't anticipate any more.

As of 2012 I have not carried a balance and right now everything is paid in full. What is the risk of Chase, Bank of America, or Amex lowering the limit if I don't utilize most of it? I don't mean charging a few hundred on a card in a month, but bumping against the limit itself (I have only done it once, but I maxed the Amex on a purchase and had to spread the purchase across two cards.)

in 2011 I ran about $30k through my cards, 95% of that on an American Express Blue Sky.

I foresee either light use of the cards as outlined above or much heavier use.

If I plan some major expenses, would it be better to take another hard pull from Amex to ask for a higher limit, spread the utilization across all the cards, or make a purchase, pay the balance, and then use the card again (I used to do this regularly before increasing the Amex limit a few years ago).

Thnkas for the help!

Message 24 of 31
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@OlegWasHere wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

For me, anywhere from $50K to $75K for personal cards.

With some recent card additions this year, I've gone above it, but I periodically cancel cards or request CLIs (except Chase--never do this with them) to keep around my preferred range.

Curious why you never do a CLI request w/Chase.

because they always HARD pull 

A much more succint, concise, and straight to the point answer than mine!

sorry when i replied i was on my phone and did not read all the way through.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 25 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

Awesome, Ray! I think I'm going to aim for $100k over the next year. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 26 of 31
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@voukephalas wrote:

Hi,

I am a new member and have been reading with interest. My first post was going to be about credit limits, so this actually fits nicely.

I recenly upped my limits to a total of $75k across three cards (25k each). Is there any reason to regret increasing the limit in terms of my credit score (currently mid 700s)? The Amex limit has already been at 25k but I increased the CL on the other two. I have had about six hard pulls in the last six months but don't anticipate any more.

As of 2012 I have not carried a balance and right now everything is paid in full. What is the risk of Chase, Bank of America, or Amex lowering the limit if I don't utilize most of it? I don't mean charging a few hundred on a card in a month, but bumping against the limit itself (I have only done it once, but I maxed the Amex on a purchase and had to spread the purchase across two cards.)

in 2011 I ran about $30k through my cards, 95% of that on an American Express Blue Sky.

I foresee either light use of the cards (similar to 2011) as outlined above or much heavier use.

If I plan some major expenses, would it be better to take another hard pull from Amex to ask for a higher limit, spread the utilization across all the cards, or make a purchase, pay the balance, and then use the card again (I used to do this regularly before increasing the Amex limit a few years ago).

Thnkas for the help!

There is no problem with the limits being high in terms of your score as long as your utilization is not high. Most people keep several cards to offset utilization ( for example, if in the unlikely occasion that a creditor reduces your limit or closes a card on you). You wouldn't want to use 2 cards, and then have a creditor lose one, and your utilization goes through the roof.

I have approx.168k worth of available credit, with a current utilization of approx 5-6%. I could close cards I am not using, but if they have no AF, why bother?

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 27 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@voukephalas wrote:

Hi,

I foresee either light use of the cards (similar to 2011) as outlined above or much heavier use.

Thnkas for the help!

Welcome to the forum!

#1, I can't think of any reason why increasing your CL would hurt your score. If anything it could help it if it lowers your overall util/DTI.

#2, AFAIK, CCs don't usually CLD for not maxing out the card. *Some* regular use will keep the card in good standing and prevent any CLD. I think they usually only CLD if you are late or they soft you and see problems with other cards.

#3, Amex doesn't HP to CLI. But you can only go to $25k without talking to a live rep and possibly providing income verification or other info. If you have 3 $25k cards, I'm not sure what kind of "major expenses" you'd have that would exceed the CL on any one card. ($25k is a lot of money!)

If you're going to PIF, then it doesn't really matter if you put it all on one card or spread it out. If you plan on carrying  a balance, then you need to think strategically about what's going to look better to the CCs when they soft you. If you're planning on incurring some expenses that you're going to want to finance, you might plan in advance and app for another card or two. I'd look for cards w/0% intro rates or BT so you can finance w/o interest. (That's what I am in the process of doing myself.) That way, your util won't be dinged as much when the balance(s) are showing.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 28 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@OlegWasHere wrote:

sorry when i replied i was on my phone and did not read all the way through.

No worries.  Anyway, I liked your answer better!

Message 29 of 31
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Awesome, Ray! I think I'm going to aim for $100k over the next year. Smiley Happy

Thanks! It will take some time I am sure. I have no plans for anything new (maybe a Ring from Barclay - doubt it though), so this will have to come from CLI's. This is okay though as I am patient! Smiley Happy

Glad to see you back by the way...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.