Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Op, sorry this happened to you! Honest mistakes can happen to any of us. Now is the time to take action. 

1. Find the EO email and plead your case!! Let's try to get at least one of those accounts reopened! All would be best if possible. 

2. Join NFCU asap! There is a thread on this forum with a mountain of testimonies of rebuilders with SL that are 5k - 10k. 

I know your devastated.....but shake it off and get busy! You can come out of this BETTER than you went in! 

Good luck and keep us posted! 

I just tried NFCU and it required navy affiliation. Is there a way to get around this? 

YES!!!!!

There is a huge thread here on the forums with directions etc. 

Also gdale gave you the link to Cap 1 EO. 

I'll def be working on this! Many thanks. 

Yes, search for Navy Leauge San Diego, I believe it's like $25 to join and that would entitle you to NFCU membership, there's tons of info floating around here on it. You will not regret joining NFCU. 

Thank you! 

Message 41 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Instructions for how to join NFCU via Navy League San Diego:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Navy-Federal-CU-The-REAL-way-in-for-those-that-dont...

Thx Baller 😁

Message 42 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I'd recommend using the San Diego Navy League affiliation to join NFCU unless you have a San Diego mailing address without being fully aware of the risk you are taking,  Once these strategies start getting posted publicly and widely used (and potential members start calling those institutions asking questions about joining NFCU through the San Diego Navy League), the institutions become aware of the loopholes and may choose to review accounts opened with that affiliation.  As devastated as you are over the closure of your Capital One account, I would want you to be fully aware of the possibility that your NFCU business account might also be at risk if Navy Fed decides that people are using membership in the San Diego Navy League in order to become members when they are not eligible through other affiliations and starts reviewing those accounts.  Only you can weigh the risks and decide if you are willing to take those risks with a business account.  I would suggest at least looking into other credit union possibilities such as DCU and PenFed.

If the CSR at Capital One misled you into thinking that having your payment returned would not negatively impact your account, then you may have success in going up the chain of command and presenting your case.  I've never spoken to a Capital One CSR over the phone, but it is usually standard practice to record such interactions.  Since you know when you called, it is just a matter of them looking up the information and confirming the misinformation provided to you by the CSR,  There is no guarantee that they will decide in your favor, but I think that is probably your best shot.

Good luck to you.

Message 43 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure I'd recommend using the San Diego Navy League affiliation to join NFCU unless you have a San Diego mailing address without being fully aware of the risk you are taking,  Once these strategies start getting posted publicly and widely used (and potential members start calling those institutions asking questions about joining NFCU through the San Diego Navy League), the institutions become aware of the loopholes and may choose to review accounts opened with that affiliation.  As devastated as you are over the closure of your Capital One account, I would want you to be fully aware of the possibility that your NFCU business account might also be at risk if Navy Fed decides that people are using membership in the San Diego Navy League in order to become members when they are not eligible through other affiliations and starts reviewing those accounts.  Only you can weigh the risks and decide if you are willing to take those risks with a business account.  I would suggest at least looking into other credit union possibilities such as DCU and PenFed.

If the CSR at Capital One misled you into thinking that having your payment returned would not negatively impact your account, then you may have success in going up the chain of command and presenting your case.  I've never spoken to a Capital One CSR over the phone, but it is usually standard practice to record such interactions.  Since you know when you called, it is just a matter of them looking up the information and confirming the misinformation provided to you by the CSR,  There is no guarantee that they will decide in your favor, but I think that is probably your best shot.

Good luck to you.

Oh no, I just joined the San Diego chapter but have not opened an account yet. Should I hold off then? Thanks for the advice re:Capital One. CSRs I've spoken to also read the interaction. 

Message 44 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck to you.

I have an account with DCU and was thinking of opening a secured credit card with them.

Message 45 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you should NOT hold off. NFCU obviously knows about the "loophole" because they created it. 

I haven't read one post about someone's account being closed because they joined via the chapter. 

Message 46 of 64
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Jomako I see that you are new here and may not be aware of this method of joining NFCU. But, it is not a loophole and is in fact a legitimate way in. In 2010 USA Federal Credit Union merged with NFCU. The Navy League San Diego Chapter membership made one eligible to join USA Federal regardless of their physical address. Once they merged with NFCU, their charter also became a part NFCU.

This method has been used for 6 years to join NFCU. It is not advertised on their website and one MUST follow the instructions in original thread in order to not encounter problems. Someone was kind enough to bring the method to the attention of this forum within the past several months and MANY of our forum members have now joined who were not previously eligible to do so. No one is at risk of getting kicked out of NFCU if they join this way.

Message 47 of 64
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck to you.

Oh no, I just joined the San Diego chapter but have not opened an account yet. Should I hold off then? Thanks for the advice re:Capital One. CSRs I've spoken to also read the interaction. 

SMH. OP please proceed with following the instructions on how to join NFCU. You are not in any danger of being denied or kicked out. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE WAY IN NFCU!

Message 48 of 64
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, thanks for a little history lesson Baller!. I was about to respond as well as i actually talked to a rep recently and asked specifically if i joined Navy League San Diego chapter if i could join and she said yes, she had to check, but definitely came back with a yes, so it is legit. I did not know why this loophole existed but now we doSmiley Happy. As for getting in trouble i do remember there were some using other methods to get that turned out NOT to be legit but i believe @ jomako can read up on it on the various threads here. SORRY Op for your troubles. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 49 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous I see that you are new here and may not be aware of this method of joining NFCU. But, it is not a loophole and is in fact a legitimate way in. In 2010 USA Federal Credit Union merged with NFCU. The Navy League San Diego Chapter membership made one eligible to join USA Federal regardless of their physical address. Once they merged with NFCU, their charter also became a part NFCU.

This method has been used for 6 years to join NFCU. It is not advertised on their website and one MUST follow the instructions in original thread in order to not encounter problems. Someone was kind enough to bring the method to the attention of this forum within the past several months and MANY of our forum members have now joined who were not previously eligible to do so. No one is at risk of getting kicked out of NFCU if they join this way.

Thank you Baller. After what happened with Cap One, I'm so scared to do something that would get me in trouble. Glad to hear this. I just received the welcome email from the SD chapter, I assume I wait until I get a membership #? I will re-read that thread again detailing instructions to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. 

Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.