cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Chase clone my Freedom account or open a new TL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did Chase clone my Freedom account or open a new TL?

I sent a secure message to a chase csr asking if it would be possible to switch my Mastercard Freedom to a Visa account.... no reply, nothing.

A couple weeks later, I log into my online banking, lo and behold, there is a new Freedom account in there. Of course, having not received any word back, I had forgotten about my earlier request, so I call up customer support. Sure enough, someone in Chase just decided to process it without my knowlege... she asked, would you like a copy of your new card? And I said, well yes lol.

Looks like all the information on the new card is the same, except for the account number. Same UR points, same balance, etc. So I'm just wondering, maybe for someone who has had a similar type of experience... did Chase just create a "mirror" Visa account to my already existing Freedom account, or did they grant me a new Trade Line?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Did Chase clone my Freedom account or open a new TL?

Call them and they can inform you or wait until you get your new card and then call.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 8
djrez4
Established Contributor

That's exactly what happened.  They "mirrored" your account.  The old account will remain open for 60 days and will disappear after that.

The same thing happened to me when I switched my CSP from MC to Visa.

Message 3 of 8
melbaro
New Contributor

I did the same in changing my MC for a Visa. I'm OCD and having to "hide" the old MC account online bothers me! It reports as a new account on the reports, but is dated as the original.

I'm assuming this will happen again when I try and PC to a siggy...new number again...another account to "hide"...

Message 4 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@melbaro wrote:

I did the same in changing my MC for a Visa. I'm OCD and having to "hide" the old MC account online bothers me! It reports as a new account on the reports, but is dated as the original.

I'm assuming this will happen again when I try and PC to a siggy...new number again...another account to "hide"...

It should not be a new account on the credit reports; it should have completely replaced the old account. When you transition to a Visa Signature, the number should stay the same. What do you mean hide? After a few weeks the account gets deleted from online access.

Message 5 of 8
melbaro
New Contributor

It reports as the original, but I logged in to CK yesterday and it said the original TL was no longer there and a new TL with the same account open date replaced it...

How long did it take for your original account to get deleted from online access? I got tired of looking at it, so I went to account options and "hid" the account. This makes it invisible on the "my accounts" page.

In regards to the siggy...don't they issue a new number as well? 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses! It seems weird that they can't just keep the same account number, since that would make bill payments and anything linked to the card so much easier, lol. I guess I'll just hide that MC account until it disappears anyway then.

Message 7 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@melbaro wrote:

It reports as the original, but I logged in to CK yesterday and it said the original TL was no longer there and a new TL with the same account open date replaced it...

How long did it take for your original account to get deleted from online access? I got tired of looking at it, so I went to account options and "hid" the account. This makes it invisible on the "my accounts" page.

In regards to the siggy...don't they issue a new number as well? 

It was gone in less than a month. They should not issue another number for the signature version since all that changes are some benefits and the ability to go over the limit. It stays a Visa so nothing should change.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the responses! It seems weird that they can't just keep the same account number, since that would make bill payments and anything linked to the card so much easier, lol. I guess I'll just hide that MC account until it disappears anyway then.

They cannot keep the same numbers because it changes over to another processing network. All Visas start with 4, Mastercards 5, American Express 3, and Discover 6. With a product change to another card with the same network the number should stay the same. Like if you switched from a Chase Freedom mastercard to a Chase Sapphire mastercard.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.