cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Chase kill the regular Sapphire card?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Did Chase kill the regular Sapphire card?

@nachoslibres wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Its kind of an inferior card when compared to other no-AF cards that do similar.  I would PC to a Freedom.

If you don't have a Citi Thank you preferred card or whatever else that offers better then 1% on Dining then the Chase Sapphire is a good card. I got it primairly for Dining and Transportation since I spend a good amount on both every year. 

When you say transportation - you mean booking travel through the UR site?  Because I see the Sapphire only offers 2x UR on dining only and travel booked through the UR site and nothing else.

Personally, I think the card is inferior.  It might fit the needs of a few people or those that carry an Ink Bold or Ink Plus card as a companion card for dining - but even then it would seem that the better option would be to go to the CSP and downgrade the Ink to the Ink Cash.

Yea.. Just looked at the Chase Sapphire and noticed 2X points for Travel is for the CSP which i didn't realize but oh well. Still it is 2X on Dining which is pretty good if you don't have any other cards that offer that. It has no AF which is why OP wanted to Downgrade it to the Case sapphire 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 11 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

Is the regular chase sapphire a metal card as well?
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 12 of 17
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@MT936 wrote:
Is the regular chase sapphire a metal card as well?

No

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Its kind of an inferior card when compared to other no-AF cards that do similar.  I would PC to a Freedom.

If you don't have a Citi Thank you preferred card or whatever else that offers better then 1% on Dining then the Chase Sapphire is a good card. I got it primairly for Dining and Transportation since I spend a good amount on both every year. 

When you say transportation - you mean booking travel through the UR site?  Because I see the Sapphire only offers 2x UR on dining only and travel booked through the UR site and nothing else.

Personally, I think the card is inferior.  It might fit the needs of a few people or those that carry an Ink Bold or Ink Plus card as a companion card for dining - but even then it would seem that the better option would be to go to the CSP and downgrade the Ink to the Ink Cash.

Yea.. Just looked at the Chase Sapphire and noticed 2X points for Travel is for the CSP which i didn't realize but oh well. Still it is 2X on Dining which is pretty good if you don't have any other cards that offer that. It has no AF which is why OP wanted to Downgrade it to the Case sapphire 

Basically, without a CSP you can't do the point transfers, so the 2x UR is effectively 2% cash back as you can never expect to redeem for more than 1 cent per point.  So you are getting 2% on dining only with no annual fee.  But there are cards from other banks with similar underwriting criteria that offer this same redemption plus also include travel purchases for 2x, still with no annual fee.  Barclays Arrival comes to mind.

If someone wanted to give up the CSP transfer partners to save on the annual fee, the UR points are no longer highly valuable.  They are now only as good as 1cpp cash back.  Might as well get a different free card that is better than the sapphire and downgrade the CSP to a card that at least occasionally earns superior rewards with no-AF such as the Freedom.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 17
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

I sent a secure message two days back to PC my CSP to CS. They denied my request saying it's not possible ... I am afraid I will hit annual fee soon ...

Will call and update ....do we really have CS now
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 15 of 17
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@CardsLifeLine wrote:
I sent a secure message two days back to PC my CSP to CS. They denied my request saying it's not possible ... I am afraid I will hit annual fee soon ...

With all of the Amex cards that you have, why not just close one of those and keep the CSP?  This way your annual fee expenditure doesn't change and you can still combine points with your Freedom and use the UR transfer partners.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 16 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@CardsLifeLine wrote:

With all of the Amex cards that you have, why not just close one of those and keep the CSP?  This way your annual fee expenditure doesn't change and you can still combine points with your Freedom and use the UR transfer partners.

Right!  With that set of cards, seems no reason to keep the Amex Green, Everyday is (potentially) a better earner, and any NPSL Charge Card needs are taken care of by the PRG.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.