Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Discover Screw me?

tag
dammo001
New Visitor

Did Discover Screw me?

I applied for the Discover IT card because it has 0% APR for 14 months according to the countless letters I have. After a few months of thinking about it, I decided to jump for it. I was approved immediately without any disclaimers. Midway through the process, the website crashed. I tried to apply again, and was denied. I called and found out that this was because I was already approved with a 11k CL -- ok no problems. I checked today (a month later) to pinpoint exactly how long my 0% APR would last (the reason I signed up, I buy/resell things online). I was told that my APR was 14.99%. I called them to find out what was going on, and basically I was informed that when I had applied, I wasn't approved for the 0% APR. Apparently I was supposed to be denied, called, and offered a counter offer for the CC with the 14.99% APR that I have been given. None of this happened. I applied for a card with a 0% APR, was approved INSTANTLY, and then a month later am told that I actually have a 14.99% APR. My credit score is 739 -- does this add up? If not, what can I do? I tried arguing with them, telling them that they had entered into a contract with me in a disingenuous fashion, but to no avail. Please someone tell me I have any options to get the 0% APR I was promised (and was counting on for my small business) 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Did Discover Screw me?

Speak to there EO, shouldn't be a major issue.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 17
dammo001
New Visitor

I'm not sure what an EO is, but I asked to speak with someone senior to the initial representative. I was essentially told that, because I was given that APR, that was the only APR I would ever have gotten in the first place. I argued with her for a good 20 minutes about this, but eventually gave up. Who should I ask to speak to? What should I say? 

Message 3 of 17
rlx01
Established Contributor

Ahhh... The famous Discover bait-n-switch.

There's a specific set of things to say to them. You should read Slickdeals as there's an entire thread about this there.

I personally wouldn't touch Discover with a 50ft pole. Their customer acquisition side is sketchy beyond words.
Message 4 of 17
dammo001
New Visitor

So is this standard operating procedure? Thanks , I'll look on slickdeals... would you mind linking me to a particular thread?

Message 5 of 17
blondy250
Established Contributor

EO= executive office , check the sticky above titled "back door numbers".
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 17
compassion101
Established Contributor

Why not try for a business card?

Most cards would close your account if they knew you were buying inventory for a business on a personal account. You might get away with it, but why take the chance and not just get a business card?

Message 7 of 17
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

dammo001, I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I called and spoke to several reps and simply stayed calm but firm in that I believed I should have been awarded a 0% intro (of 6 months in my case). Now, I was mistaken--I did accept a vry high APR counter offer. BUT ... Discover still recently granted me the 0% APR after I had closed the subject entirely after a week of converations.
So, in my experience ...
1. Ask to "escalate" your claim/complaint to the appropriate senior level rep each time you call. 1st level won't be able to help you.
2. Ask to have customer aquistitions pull your original online app from archives to review it (that's what they did for me)
3. Be patient, the process of being escalated and having your app reviewed takes days
4. Double check your own memory (when I called I was absoluetly adamant they had screwed me. Later, I noticed in one of my posts me saying I agreed to a high APR) ... my point is our minds can play tricks on us, lol. Maybe you also made a mistake (just a suggestion)
Like I said, I was still surprised with a temp APR reduction for 6 months even after I closed my complaint without a win in my favor, so Disocver obviously was still working on satisfying my concerns even after I closed my complaint without a .
Good luck! 

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 8 of 17
Smug
Established Contributor

I love discover and never had any problems or issues that you describing, they have gone as far as giving me an additional 0% for six months all I have to do is call and ask I love discover it will be with them for a long time
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 9 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dammo001 wrote:
Did Discover Screw me?

@dammo001 wrote:

I applied for the Discover IT card because it has 0% APR for 14 months according to the countless letters I have.

Impossible for us to say. Offers are never guarantees so no telling in you qualified for 0%. +1 on going through the EO if want to pursue the matter.

@dammo001 wrote:

My credit score is 739 -- does this add up?

Again, impossible for us to say.  It's never just about the credit score.  We're not Discover underwriters so we can't tell you if 14.99 is the best you can get for your credit.

@dammo001 wrote:

I tried arguing with them, telling them that they had entered into a contract with me in a disingenuous fashion, but to no avail.

0% isn't guaranteed when you apply. Your card came with documentation of your terms. If you didn't read it it's not Discover's fault.  Failing to counteroffer is their fault but given that the options were denial or 14.99% would you have taken the denial?  You post seems to indicate otherwise.  You seem to think you're entitled to the 0%.  Again, offers are never guarantees.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.