cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Discover raise their quarterly limits on 5% cashback?

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Did Discover raise their quarterly limits on 5% cashback?

I just logged into Discover and signed up for the Jan-March 5% cashback. I saw that not only will they continue to have restaurants as a spending category on there (in addition to the usual hotel, airline categories), but they also raised the usual max. amount from $300 to $800, more in line with what Chase Freedom offers.

If they continue that trend, I'll like them even more. Even though I don't eat out as much anymore as I used to, many places that I go to will show up as "restaurant" on my statement (e.g. Panera Bread, my local coffee roaster etc.).

At the time, I was rejected for the Chase Freedom which offers higher cashback limits, and so I applied for Discover More, the next in line for this type of cashback card. I was a bit dissatisfied with the low limits, but maybe that will change...

I really like the More. It is by far not my main spending card. Despite that, I always earn about $10 per month just for using it.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did Discover raise their quarterly limits on 5% cashback?

I noticed this also. I signed up yesterday. I'm happy with the card. My only complaint is not getting a full 1% on all purchases. You have to wait until after you spend 3,000. It doesn't take long to reach this but it's a pain when it resets on the anniversary date. Also purchases as discount stores and warehouse clubs never get 1% no matter how much you spend.

Message 2 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

So does Walmart cout as a discount store? Discover is really stingy in cashback.

Message 3 of 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My only complaint is not getting a full 1% on all purchases. You have to wait until after you spend 3,000. It doesn't take long to reach this but it's a pain when it resets on the anniversary date. Also purchases as discount stores and warehouse clubs never get 1% no matter how much you spend.

That is a pain. It sounds ridiculous when they advertise this as "up to 1%" as if it were something spectacular.My wife is a Sam's Club member. We always use the Discover there lest we get no cashback at all. With the Discover at least we get a few cents back. Not much but better than nothing.

Message 4 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

have to wait until after you spend 3,000.

So can this be spent on anything?  I mean, can you charge a $2500 insurance bill on it and that'll go toward your initial $3000?  Just curious how it works.  Thanks.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So can this be spent on anything?  I mean, can you charge a $2500 insurance bill on it and that'll go toward your initial $3000?  Just curious how it works.  Thanks.

Yes, you could do that. But then, if you had a better general rewards card, those $3000 would give you a lot of cashback already while the Discover wouldn't wth its measly 0.25% in that tier. With Discover, the amounts that get the 5% cashback are, methinks, not counted towards the first $3000 spent.

Insurance bills are great! I just paid my life insurance annual premium and put it on my BoA card that gives me 2% cashback. I have State Farm, and they only take MC/VISA. I don't think all too many insurance companies will take Amex or Discover.

Message 6 of 13
BoSox617
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

Hi clocktick,

You may want to call Discover and ask Smiley Happy  I've had great customer service, and they have always been happy to answer my questions.

One thing to keep in mind - if you were to charge your annual insurance up front on the card (and you don't have 0% APR):

1. calculate the insurance savings you'll be getting from paying your annual insurance in one lump sum up front as opposed to split payments.

2. determine how soon you will be able to pay the annual insurance charge off. 

If you aren't planning on paying the annual charge before the statement cuts, you'll be charged interest.  If you can estimate how long it will take to pay off the charge, you'll be able to determine if you'll really end up saving money or not.  It might not be worth charging the annual insurance up front if you aren't going to pay it off for a while. 

Good luck!

Message 7 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Thank you wollepopolle and BoSox.  That's a really good point - I don't know if my insurance takes Amex or Discover.

BoSox - I'm not calling Discover because I do not have their card yet. Smiley Happy  I plan on applying for it in a year or so but was just curious how the rewards work.  As far as paying off an insurance, or any balance, I PIF so there would not be any interest charged.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 13
BoSox617
Contributor

You're welcome, clocktick!

I'm very happy with Discover - their online shopping discounts and partner cards are fantastic!  You access different websites through Discover's portal, and you can get anywhere from 5%-25% off internet purchases through their merchants.  You cannot combine this discount with another offer (like a promotional store discount), but it can save you some bucks.  Even better, you can sign up to trade in your cash back for partner gift cards to save even more!   I do a lot of shopping online, so Discover is really useful to me (their merchant discounts are better than those on my other cards). 

For example, I purchase my facial regimen products at Sephora - I trade in $85 cash back rewards to get a $100 e-certificate.  I go online to Sephora through Shop Discover's site, and get 10% off my purchase, and pay for it with my e-certiicate.  So I make the most of my rewards by combining cash back partner cards with online shopping discounts.  I've saved a lot doing this Smiley Happy

Each quarter, they offer 5% off rotating stated categories up to a maximum amount.  The maximum is generally low, aroud $300 or so (like the OP noted, this quarter's $800 cap is unusually high) but it's better than nothing.  All you need to do is sign up for each quarter, and you're good to go!

I even get Discover post cards offering 5% off local merchants (my most recent post card was for 5% gas at a local station). 

I just re-read my post, I sound like I work for them LOL  I don't, by the way, I'm just a happy customer. 

Best of luck to you! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

So does Walmart cout as a discount store? Discover is really stingy in cashback.

Yep. Walmart is a discount store.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.