Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I do the right thing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I do the right thing?

Ok...so I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit. I only have one baddie on my report...a biggie, but only one (repo 04) and since then I do have a paid auto loan. About 3 months ago I got a secured BoA card with a $300 limit and was looking at the advice of the Truecredit people and it said that I don't have enough credit and that I should look into getting more revolving credit. I read somewhere that you should have a store card...so I applied and was approved for a Macy's card with a $400 limit. I was on cloud 9 and proud of myself for actually being approved for something without forking out money first. Today I was messing around with the MyFico score simulator and I checked the "open new store account" and it showed my score dropping 50 points (at least)! I was expecting to be dinged with the inquiry and the newness of the card, but I didn't think it would be that much. I held off pulling my Experian report because I wanted to see the report with this new Macy's card on it...so I have no clue what it did to my fico score yet?

So did I do the right thing by opening this account? I don't mind the short term drop if it will increase later. I'm not in the market for a new house or anything, but maybe possibly a car in a year or so?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Did I do the right thing?

I say you did the right thing! any score loss will be quickly recovered as the account ages.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignore the scores and advice from TC.

(yes I have this saved as a macro)

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

did macys pull EQ on you ?

Message 4 of 6
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Yes you did the right thing. You may lose a few points for the newness of the account and the inquiry - but you'll gain those back and more in a few months. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
did macys pull EQ on you ?

No they pulled Experian. I did it online and got an instant reply. I'm not sure what my current EX fico score is, but my fako score (according to TC) was 631 at the time.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.