Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I get the wrong card?

tag
VanillaThunder
Established Member

Did I get the wrong card?

I was instantly approved for the discover it student credit card, which from what I read has in intro APR of 0, for 6 months. In my terms and stuff that was mailed to me with the card, it says I will be interest free until May 2015. This doesn't make a difference because I will PIF anyways, but I was wondering if they approved me for the non student version of the card even though that is what I applied for.

EDIT: I was not instantly approved, I got a 5-7 days message and then like 20 minutes later someone called me on the phone and told me I was approved for $500.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Did I get the wrong card?

If you did congrats! It will grow faster then a student card! Congrats either way I meant to say and welcome to the Discover family!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 10
39Xelor
Established Member

@coldnmn wrote:

If you did congrats! It will grow faster then a student card! Congrats either way I meant to say and welcome to the Discover family!

Ditto! Good for you.. Student cards don't grow nearly as quick as "standard" cards do!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 3 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your approval!  During the app process, did Discover ask for your proof of you being a student (ie student card or schedule, etc)?  If not, you may have applied for the regular version, which like others said grows faster with you. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 10
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval, either way!!

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 5 of 10
Trivolve
Contributor

When you say student cards grow more slowly does that mean in terms of CLI? I currently have the student Discover IT, will it ever graduate into the regular Discover or will I have to PC in the future? Right now I don't see any difference in my online portal/statement.
[Total CL: $97K] Citi Forward, BoA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Hyatt, AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX Hilton Hhonors, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thankyou Preferred, Barclaycard Arrival Plus, AMEX Platinum, Chase IHG
Message 6 of 10
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Way to go!!!!
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 7 of 10
39Xelor
Established Member

@Trivolve wrote:
When you say student cards grow more slowly does that mean in terms of CLI? I currently have the student Discover IT, will it ever graduate into the regular Discover or will I have to PC in the future? Right now I don't see any difference in my online portal/statement.

Correct, CLI's aren't given as much with student cards.. which in all honesty they shouldnt because student cards are designed to welcome you to the world of credit and being responsible. So, it doesn;t make sense to give out a student card with an 8k credit line.. When you're ready to graduate to a "standard" card then I would call discover and see if they will allow you to PC to a standard version.. If not, then you'll have to take the HP and app..either way good luck!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 8 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Congrats on you approval.

Message 9 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I got a student card and my CL is at 9k so take that for whatever that's worth...

(However, in 2006 was when I got student card. By all means there is no reason for it to be student now though.)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.