Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just make a huge mistake?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I just make a huge mistake?

I got an email inviting me to apply for a Citi Forward card.

I went on there and applied for a credit card in my name with my husband as an AU on the account.  I just want to update his available credit without running a Credit Check on his name, now I didn't have to give his SSN so they shouldn't do a hard pull on him. My credit history is below, not awesome but given the short history I have it's not bad.  In addition I just got added as an AU to his account which he has had since 2001 (I only had 10 months history prior to that so hopefully it will help).  

Now my concern is that on Equifax when I just looked I noticed that I still am showing 6 enquiries in the last 12 months (eek) 2 of those were car places running my credit report without permission and I am trying to get removed and 3 are due to come off in May (which should take me down to 1), on Experian I have 4 enquiries in the last year (2 from the car places again and 2 due to come off in may) and on TU 3 enquiries, 1 from car place and 2 due to come off in may.  

Should I have waited? I mean it's too late now but I just panicked a little! I don't plan on applying for any other cards this year, the only other credit check will be for a mortgage much later this year.

Gah, I think i messed up 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I just make a huge mistake?

Is everyone afraid to tell me I did?Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
mphan
Contributor

1/ They don't send pre-approval email so I guess you got spam email from Citi.

2/ CCC only pull your CR, not AU's.

3/ Your score is too low to be qualified for any reward cards. Only app for secured/student card or don't app. If you have 2 or 3 cards, that's enough. Give it sometime to grow.

4/ How good is your husband's account that you added yourself as an AU?

I asked this question because within one year you only gained ~30 points. Regardless of how old that account is, if it has bad history, remove it right away.

---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mphan wrote:

1/ They don't send pre-approval email so I guess you got spam email from Citi.

Ugh, probably

2/ CCC only pull your CR, not AU's.

ok, cool

3/ Your score is too low to be qualified for any reward cards. Only app for secured/student card or don't app. If you have 2 or 3 cards, that's enough. Give it sometime to grow.

Well I was given a Capital One card about 4 months ago when I only had 6 months (max) of credit history, it started with a $500 limit and now is at $1500.  My oldest card is 10 months and is a secured orchard bank card which I just use for gas ($250 limit) on top of that I have a Macys card and a Lane Bryant card with 100 and 300 limits respectively.  The Macys, Lane Bryant and Orchard cards have zero balances each month as I pay them before the due day in full, the cap one card has a balance of about 200 on it. So i have 200 out of 2150 utilization

4/ How good is your husband's account that you added yourself as an AU?

I asked this question because within one year you only gained ~30 points. Regardless of how old that account is, if it has bad history, remove it right away.

A year ago I didn't even have a credit score - the first one I got was back in October of last year, so six months ago, I should (according to the analyzer thing) get a nice jump when those accounts begin to reach a year old each which will start to happen in June with three of the four being a year old by the end of July.

The hubbys credit card has high (ish) utilization 500 out of 1020CL but no missed payments ever and is 8 years old.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.