cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I make a mistake with Barclay's backdoor number?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I make a mistake with Barclay's backdoor number?

I just refinanced my car; went from 22% to 10.5%  Feeling emboldened, I applied for a couple of cards. Chase/Amazon turned me down, and I called the backdoor number and got approved for $1000.  Barclay's/Priceline (trying to get a couple of cards for things I do all the time and could use points on) declined; I called the backdoor number, and the nice guy said my citicards were to high and too close to the limit.  He asked what my plan was on paying these; I, stupidly I think, said they have great interest rates and I'm paying off the smaller cards first. He said okay sorry you're declined. ugh.  I then read on here that if I had just said "oh yes, my bonus/birthday money/scholarship/lottery winnings will be paying that off in a month" he probably would have given it to me.  So I called back with the intention of doing just that with a different representative, and I got the same guy! I wasn't sure at first and I started talking, and dang it was him.  I gave it a half-hearted "Oh I just realized..." but he said until it reflects on your credit score forget it.  So here is the question:  Should I wait until later, or tomorrow, and call back?  It seems like if I had just given him a plan I would have gotten the card! I've heard that sometimes people call two or even three times for recon before getting it....?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Did I make a mistake with Barclay's backdoor number?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just refinanced my car; went from 22% to 10.5%  Feeling emboldened, I applied for a couple of cards. Chase/Amazon turned me down, and I called the backdoor number and got approved for $1000.  Barclay's/Priceline (trying to get a couple of cards for things I do all the time and could use points on) declined; I called the backdoor number, and the nice guy said my citicards were to high and too close to the limit.  He asked what my plan was on paying these; I, stupidly I think, said they have great interest rates and I'm paying off the smaller cards first. He said okay sorry you're declined. ugh.  I then read on here that if I had just said "oh yes, my bonus/birthday money/scholarship/lottery winnings will be paying that off in a month" he probably would have given it to me.  So I called back with the intention of doing just that with a different representative, and I got the same guy! I wasn't sure at first and I started talking, and dang it was him.  I gave it a half-hearted "Oh I just realized..." but he said until it reflects on your credit score forget it.  So here is the question:  Should I wait until later, or tomorrow, and call back?  It seems like if I had just given him a plan I would have gotten the card! I've heard that sometimes people call two or even three times for recon before getting it....?

I honestly think it is a lost cause at this point. If the agent marked it down they will probably keep a log. Also if you opened the new accounts and inquiries...Barclays usually keeps people on their radar for at least 6 months. It sounds as if they consider you somewhat risky already and if you add in the fact that the Chase/Amazon card will report in a month or so even if Barclays approved you now they may close it once those accounts report+high utilization+inqs, etc. Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

They did something similar with me. I have a balance on a Citi card and they asked what my plan was and I said I was paying it down in large chunks of a few hundred a month.... even though I'm at 0% interest, riding it, paying minimums until September lol. But she said oh that's great and approved my CLI request.

You gotta tell them what they want to hear! You could try calling back but the guy might have made a note in your file or something...only one way to find out!
Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay good advice.  So hard to decide what to do. Maybe I better quit while I'm ahead! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Decisions Decisions! Ugh.

Message 5 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I would certainly not call again.  As others have said, note in your file and maybe you get the same guy again.  You don't want to be marked as exhibiting suspicious behavior (keeps changing the story).  Wait a few months and then apply again.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree I'm not calling again.  I'm going to calm down and enjoy my new Chase card. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.