Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I mess up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I mess up?

I have a cap one qs card... had it for over 2 yrs now. I just applied for cap one platinum card a week ago... did I downgrade? My score atm is in the average range. I'm trying to raise my score to excellent.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Did I mess up?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a cap one qs card... had it for over 2 yrs now. I just applied for cap one platinum card a week ago... did I downgrade? My score atm is in the average range. I'm trying to raise my score to excellent.

Yeah the platinum card isn't as good as the Quicksilver card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can always product change it to something else later on, so I think its a fixable situation! 

Message 3 of 5
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

OP, I wouldn't say you messed up. You just applied for CO Platinum card that comes along with no perks. I too have a QS that I got last year (June 2016) with a SL of $500 (now at $1100 and won't budge). I then applied for a 2nd card in Dec. 2016 (the platinum), with a SL of $2000. CO gave me a larger starting limit on the 2nd platinum than they did with the QS, which in reality was a platinum card as well that was pc'ed to the QS.  Oh yeah, I just got my credit steps increase on the platinum card as well. Now, my limit is $2500. I will be combining my platinum with the QS.

I don't think you messed up as it's a simple fix that I encurage you to make after receiving the credit steps increase on the Platinum: just combine into the QS.

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 4 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a fixable situation as others have said, but you do realize you took a 3 bureau hit for the card?

If your score is in the average range I would have tried for better rewards cards that even the QS.  

I look at it like this, play the odds that 3 credit applications will get you one good card evening out to 3 credit pulls, but you might even get lucky.......  You could score 3, or 2.....

And if you scored nothing, well then you probably still could go back and get a CapOne card...      

Just sayin......

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.