cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did all Cap 1 card holders get an email invitation like this to apply for Venture card?

tag
startover03
New Contributor

Did all Cap 1 card holders get an email invitation like this to apply for Venture card?

I got an invitation in email to apply with my name on it and card number...that says:

Thanks for being a Capital One® customer since xxxxx 2005. Because you’re a great customer, we’d like to offer you an additional card that rewards you with 1.25 Miles per dollar on all of your purchases. Apply for the VentureOneSM card and you could enjoy features like

•1.25 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
•0% intro APR on purchases until July 2011, 13.9% after that
•No annual fee

Plus, you can redeem your Miles for flights, hotel rooms, car rentals, gift cards and more. Fly free on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates.

But this offer ends August 12, 2010—so don’t wait too long.

Start earning your Miles now!

When I click on the get started button it takes you to the website application for the Venture card, which says it is for people with excellent credit, and describes that as never having had a bankruptcy, etc.  My BK doesn't fall off till next summer.  I'd love the 0% APR and mileage so it's tempting to apply, but I think this is just a big advertising campaign and not an invitation based on my history with them,etc. (i.e. any type of prequalifying)  What do other Cap 1 holders have to say?  Are you getting this email from them too?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
startover03
New Contributor

Re: Did all Cap 1 card holders get an email invitation like this to apply for Venture card?

And one more question-if I use the prequalifying site for Cap 1, does it show as a hard inquiry?  Sorry if I missed this info in another thread, but if anyone knows the answer I'd appreciate it!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did all Cap 1 card holders get an email invitation like this to apply for Venture card?

The pre-qualify is a soft but if you actually apply for a Capitol One Card they pull a hard on all three bureaus.

Message 3 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Cap 1 is my oldest card but I haven't received anything like this as of today.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had Crap1 since 2005 and I did not receive this letter, either.  I do, however, receive multiple AWESOME "special" offers to do a balance transfer at my existing purchase rate ;-)  heh

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had them since '02.  Nothing

Message 6 of 18
score_building
Senior Contributor

Been with Cap1 since '01 IIRC and did not receive this offer.

Sounds like a targeted offer.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 18
startover03
New Contributor

I called and the csr said it is a targeted offer, but like any preapproval offer someone could still be denied.  He said they were sending out offers to current customers based upon your history with them and what card they thought might be appropriate.  I hate to take 3 inquiry hit for one application so I'm not sure I'll apply but it would be lower rate than I have on my other cards so it's tempting.  Mostly I'm curious if the decision would weigh more heavily on the 5 years history with them, or the Bk on my report.  If I apply I'll update as to the result. 

Message 8 of 18
startover03
New Contributor

Decided to apply, instant deny.  Whatever "targeting" they were doing I guess their aim was off.  Thanks everyone for replying.  Kind of bummed but hope this info helps someone else in some way.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't sweat it, we all bite the bullet at one time doing a "preapproved" offer and got denied. lol You would think if you already had a relationship with a company and they send you (something you didn't ask for) an offer it would always be approved. Cap1 hasn't been good to me so it's a candy card, only use it for candy to keep it open

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.