Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did any one get Discover Card lately?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Did any one get Discover Card lately?

Did any one get Discover Card lately? What kind of scores do we need to get a Discover Card? The last major card I do not have is Discover. However, I am not going to app for it unitl all 3 scores reach low 700's at least. I am curious what kind of approval requirements Discover has now a days,
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
mphan
Contributor

Re: Did any one get Discover Card lately?

Mine was ~700 when I applied with 3 cards, 2 years of good history and 12 inqs (I was seeking for credits, haha) on my report. If you are student, it's easy to get since they don't require a big income. I'm very happy with my Discover Open Road.
---------------
In 1900, if a father put a roof over his family's head, he was a success.
Today, it takes a roof, deck, pool, and 4-car garage. And that's just the vacation home.
---------------
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you mean within the last 6 months - I got my Discover more july 08. my scores: EX: 814 EQ: 804 TU: 795 - no inqs at the time and 1 % util.

@Red1Blue wrote:
Did any one get Discover Card lately? What kind of scores do we need to get a Discover Card? The last major card I do not have is Discover. However, I am not going to app for it unitl all 3 scores reach low 700's at least. I am curious what kind of approval requirements Discover has now a days,

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the More card back in November with okay scores. It was instant, after address verification.  And speaking of, I made a payment to Discover this morning, checked my contact info, and they had changed my home town. I live in a small town called Yreka (why-REE-ka), Discover changed the name and zip code to Eureka, CA. I haven't checked to see if there's a new address on my cr yet. So far, that's the only complaint I've had with Discover.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always here you can get the Discover More with a score over 680, but the conditions won't be that good then. I got a "medium quality" card, but can't tell you what my EX was when I applied September '08. Definitely above 700, though. Took them 7 days to think that over.
Message Edited by Ulan on 02-16-2009 04:24 PM
Message 5 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Definitely above 700, and I'd say above 720 with reasonably clean reports as well and low util, to increase your chances of not wasting an inq.

Discover went on a pre-approval spree last summer, and a lot of our members got in with much lower scores, but that was very much a one-time thing. I remember that we were speculating at the time whether they were going after the folks that AmEx had just dumped from their Delta card.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine at the end of August - they pulled TU (744 at the time, don't know why I remember that) and gave me a $4900 limit. I'd received a preapproved offer (first of many, but I accepted the first one to land in my mailbox) but didn't get instant approval online - I got the message to call because they needed to verify some information. Think they basically needed to verify my identity - after a few more questions to prove I was me, they said I was approved.
Message 7 of 16
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am too old to app for any more credit cards. May be couple of years from now I'll look into getting a Discover. For now I have HSBC Discover for Personal Card and Sams Club Business Discover Card for my Business. I am retiring from credit building and now in the credit nurturing mode. I am glad for all the help and advice I received from every on on this forum.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Discover More card this past December. They apparently pulled my EQ score. It was at 709. They may approve with only 650 I hear, so give it a shot if you haven't already. Good luck. 
Message 9 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

concorduser wrote:
I am too old to app for any more credit cards. May be couple of years from now I'll look into getting a Discover. For now I have HSBC Discover for Personal Card and Sams Club Business Discover Card for my Business. I am retiring from credit building and now in the credit nurturing mode. I am glad for all the help and advice I received from every on on this forum.

Congrats, good decision.

All these banks will still be there when your scores are all well up in the 700's. And if they're not, then you definitely didn't want them! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.