cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone open a us bank account to increase the chance of approval and..

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Did anyone open a us bank account to increase the chance of approval and..

Anyone opened a us bank checking account or other accounts with us bank to get their us bank cash plus. An after getting approval, close the checking account?

Will that affect the credit card? Credit line or anything?

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Trilom

Re: Did anyone open a us bank account to increase the chance of approval and..

I don't think it matters.  Friend and I went today, I am in the 680-710 range and was approved for 6k with no checking, my friend has a similar credit score, less income than I and was approved for 5k also with no checking account.

They asked, but turned down.

Message 2 of 14
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Trilom wrote:

I don't think it matters.  Friend and I went today, I am in the 680-710 range and was approved for 6k with no checking, my friend has a similar credit score, less income than I and was approved for 5k also with no checking account.

They asked, but turned down.

Well. I have always heard that us bank is very conservative. I do not have a very thick credit file so I might need more help to get their cash + card. People that have AAoA over 3 years with a fair score might have a better chance than I do.. My score isn't that high either. It's about 720 across the board.

Message 3 of 14
Trilom

I think you'll be safe - Not sure what they pull but my profile on all but TU is spotless with a 1.5y AAOA and similar score to you.  My friends is a little lower, a few lates, and lower income (<30k a year).  

Knowing these, I think you should be just fine.

Message 4 of 14
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

@Trilom wrote:

I think you'll be safe - Not sure what they pull but my profile on all but TU is spotless with a 1.5y AAOA and similar score to you.  My friends is a little lower, a few lates, and lower income (<30k a year).  

How much lower than 30k/yr is your friends income, if you don't mind me asking. I keep seeing people say you need min 30k but I saw one person post a mailed offer that said min 20k. I'd like the card but I'm just over 20k and don't want to waste a HP since I don't have any pre-qual offers from usb.

I opened a checking and savings recently with US Bank mostly because they had offer of $150 for checking and another $50 for savings so I'm taking advantage of that. I am also hoping that they will sp my report and maybe then I'll get a prequal offer.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 5 of 14
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Trilom wrote:

i don't know what they would pull if i apped. I kinda feel that it will be TU which is my worst report with 7 inquiries. 6 was in the past 12 months and 3 was the past 6 months. My aaoa is only 8 months. I do not have any lates or public records though.

I will wait until at least the end of December of the begining of Jan 2015. But still, I could not be sure to have that card. I do not want the other reward card. They will automatically consider you for the other card if you do not qualify for the cash +

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! I am wanting to apply for a U.S. Bank Cash plus as well in the next 6 months, question for you: when was your last inquiry on TU? I heard they don't like to have anyone with inquiries less than 6 months old.

Message 7 of 14
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info! I am wanting to apply for a U.S. Bank Cash plus as well in the next 6 months, question for you: when was your last inquiry on TU? I heard they don't like to have anyone with inquiries less than 6 months old.

If you are asking me.. mine was in May 22nd (i believe... or 21st.. anyway, close enough).. But I do have another new account open on June 22nd. It's a comenity account using shopping cart trick. So no HP.. So 6 months would be at the end of December.. or posibily early Jan 2015.. 

Message 8 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I opened a checking after they revoked Club Carlson and Flexperks approvals. After a couple of months I applied on the phone for Cash+ and the approval and limit (7k) remained intact. They didnt say if the checking acct helped or applying over the phone impacted it but I dont think it hurt.
Message 9 of 14
Shock
Established Contributor

My friend is a banker at US Bank. I just asked her. 

She says if you're applying for a credit card, a checking account doesn't really make a difference, but the checking account and balances are taken into consideration when applying for bigger loans like auto or mortgage. So there you have it.

But if you have a checking account they can tell you if youre pre-qualified.

Sidebar:

Chase only gave me an Amazon. I got a checking account then got a Freedom, then a SW. Maybe it didnt make a difference and I built my internal score from the ground up, but yeah!

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.