cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did my HSCB Pre-Qualify online, any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did my HSCB Pre-Qualify online, any advice?

I have not applied for ccs in years, after a very tough 2001 to 2005.

Cleaned up CRAs as much as I could, all scores between 655 and 665.

Experian is the highest but only because of a 19 year old paid Ballys account, otherwise it has recent paid and old unpaid collections and a recent paid judgement (from an old account) and an HSBC charge-off

TU has an old Cap1 CO that ages off in July and a paid lien that ages of in March, two old unpaid collections (one of which is household bank), and 3 decent AU accounts (parents)

Efx has the old cap1 co, the 3 AUs, and the paid medical collection.

Not sure which they looked at.

I was going to wait to get a couple more of these disputed off (and i requested doc to remove the paid collection) and maybe get on my parents 35 yo Amex as AU so I can apply and rebuild.

In any event, to my surprise I was pre-Q'd for the following HSBC cards:

Cash Back (0% apr for 12 months, No AnnFe)
Cash or Fly (ditto)
Mastercard with Plus Rewards (ditto)
HSBC Platinum

I can't see having been offered Platinum on any of these CRAs, let alone any of them if they pulled Efx or TU which stil have 7 yo HSBC.

Is this just a way to get me to apply?

Do most people get approved for the cards they pre-qualify for?

Should I wait now until I can get 1 or 2 items off (especially the Household Collection) and or the Amex AU on?

Any insights appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did my HSCB Pre-Qualify online, any advice?

Interesting, I went to financeglobe to check the cards they offered me out, almost all of them say they have a low approval rate, and require in most cases 20 to 100 points (Platinum Card) then I have. Why would they do a soft-pull, find lower scores then they want AND derogs AND I put in a low income and still pre-approve me for these cards?
Message 2 of 7
creditstudent
Established Member

My DW did have similar scores to your when she did the preapproval and got the same offers you did. She got the Cash of Fly card but with a very low CL of $300. Preapproval does not mean approved but in her case she did received one of the cards they preapproved her for. This was however about 8 months ago when things were better with CCC. I hope this helps.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CreditStudent.

If I apply for each card, will I get a hard-pull for each?

I'm thinking I might do better to wait for the Amex AU and to see if I can get the recent collection off, that should raise (at least Efx) me close to 700.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

nyccc2 wrote:
Thanks CreditStudent.

If I apply for each card, will I get a hard-pull for each?

I'm thinking I might do better to wait for the Amex AU and to see if I can get the recent collection off, that should raise (at least Efx) me close to 700.

DO NOT apply for each card!!!

HSBC has a "one card per person" rule, and if you are approved for one, they will instantly deny you for any more.

Yes, you will get a hard pull for each one you apply for, even if you're denied due to the "one card" rule.

So don't burn a bunch of inquiries for no reason.

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-06-2008 02:01 PM
Message 5 of 7
Geordi
Regular Contributor

It would seem that your mileage varies with HSBC and the maximum number of CCs that they will allow you to carry.

I myself have 2 HSBC cards: a Platinum card and a Best Best Reward Zone MC.

If I try to apply for another HSBC card, I get the you have the maximum number of cards message. However there are others in the forums that have 3 or 5 HSBC cards.

However, what I have noticed that it seems that people that have PRIME HSBC cards (those with CLs of $5k and up) tend to be allowed to hold 3 to 5 HSBC cards. Those who have sub-prime credit are limited to a couple, and those who are sub-sub-prime just a single card.

Again, YMMV
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geordi wrote:
It would seem that your mileage varies with HSBC and the maximum number of CCs that they will allow you to carry.

I myself have 2 HSBC cards: a Platinum card and a Best Best Reward Zone MC.

If I try to apply for another HSBC card, I get the you have the maximum number of cards message. However there are others in the forums that have 3 or 5 HSBC cards.

However, what I have noticed that it seems that people that have PRIME HSBC cards (those with CLs of $5k and up) tend to be allowed to hold 3 to 5 HSBC cards. Those who have sub-prime credit are limited to a couple, and those who are sub-sub-prime just a single card.

Again, YMMV

You are allowed to hold multiple cards if you received the second or third one through a preapproval in the mail.

This is also a new rule that went into effect last summer sometime.  So if your cards are older than that, it doesn't apply.

I will agree that YMMV, though.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.