Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did my incorrect installment balance affect my limits

tag
Yankeefan
Valued Member

Did my incorrect installment balance affect my limits

I've had a CapOne and HSBC since college (7 years) both starter cards with low limits.  I decided it was time to get some real cards. I applied for a Citi TY, approved at 6k. A Freedom because I recently moved my banking to Chase and want to utilize the Trifecta, and a Amex BCE.  Amex only offered a 1k limit.  All three pulled Ex. Being disappointed at the low Amex limit I looked into my Ex report.  My remaining 4k in student loan debt was sold to Mohela. However, on my Ex report the original DOE TL's are still reporting. Consequently, my installment debt is 11k on this report and 4k on the other two. Did the higher debt effect my CL? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Did my incorrect installment balance affect my limits

Possibly; but keep in mind that amex allows for a CLI in 61 days... so just call and ask for a CLI and you should be fine.

You can always dispute the inaccurate tradelines so that your accounts which were sold are updated to reflect a 0 balance
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
Yankeefan
Valued Member

Re: Did my incorrect installment balance affect my limits

I just dont understand how Chase and Citi would provide 6k limits and Amex only provides 1k all from the same report. Could their internal models vary that wildly?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.