Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did not app upgrade - mistake?

tag
JoeMap
Established Member

Did not app upgrade - mistake?

I mentioned recently my desire to upgrade my Sam's Club Credit card to the Sam's Mastercard.  Yesterday I was spending way too much at Sam's and the checkout clerk asked how long I've had the card (3 months) and if I wanted to upgrade to the MC.  Since I just requested a CLI and was approved via CS (from $500 to $3,000), I didn't feel like I really had a chance and definitely didn't want to anger the Synchrony monster so I declined.  

Total utilization - 8% before the CLI and TU is mid 600's.  Only 8 inquiries total across all 3 CRA's.

I've been kicking myself ever since I left.  Did I make a mistake?

Joe

August 2012 EQ 543
November 2016 EQ 679 EX 660 TU 664
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did not app upgrade - mistake?

I wouldn't say you made a mistake you followed your first mind and I'm big on that. It will come later

Message 2 of 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

In my opinion you made the right choice. If there was an offer for an upgrade they wouldn't ask how long you have had your store card, Sounds to me they were getting kick back for new applicants.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 4
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Don't go kicking yourself.  I was at Sam's Club this weekend and they are doing a major push for members to sign up for the Sam's Club MC.  I actually have a Sam's Club MasterCard and I told the girl that and she still asked if I wanted to apply for one.  I just ignored her and continued with my self checkout.  So you did the right thing.  With scores in the mid 600's, had you applied, you'd probably would have ended up with a second store card.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.