Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you know this about Jared's??

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Did you know this about Jared's??

With my Kays card, I make one or two purchases a year and I pay in full about two weeks later.  I just bought something a week ago and will pay it in full.  Since I apparently can use a credit card with rewards, I will stop by the store in the next couple of days and pay it, then pay the credit card the following week.  I wouldn't do it if I was financing a larger purchase, but with the one or two smaller purchases I make each year, I like the idea of earning rewards on the payment.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 21 of 45
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

No no.  I am not saying using amex to pay bills and get rewards points is at all immoral.

What I am saying is that there are ways to make such a arrangement, shall we say unintendedly (<is that a word) beneficial if one really really wants to be creative.

I use my amex to pay for things I would ordinarily pay cash for in order to get the reward points too. Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 22 of 45
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is awesome for racking up rewards...

I personally don't have many store cards... but I see a lot of folks with excellent credit (my parents) who have store cards simply for the 0% interest that is offered by the card.

I don't think having a store card is a reflection on you that you cant qualify for a rewards card.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

What is the point of paying your Jared credit card bill with another credit card if you could've just used that other card in the first place?
Message 24 of 45
Jkusa
Valued Member

@jsucool76 wrote:
What is the point of paying your Jared credit card bill with another credit card if you could've just used that other card in the first place?

Was wondering this myself!

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/i/custom/FFC_Icon.gif">Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ 685 TU 683 EX 699 (their sites FAKO) all as of 03/02/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 45
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

I make one or two purchases a year to keep it open.  My Kays card has my highest credit limit so I don't want to risk losing that.  Plus, it is nice to know that there is 0% financing on that card if I wanted to make a large purchase.  I didn't know until a couple of days ago that you could use a credit card to pay your Kays bill.  So, instead of using the bank account I have listed online for payments like I always do, I'm going to go into the store and use a rewards credit card.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 26 of 45
LesWH
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Jared is a part of all my rewards malls.  If you go into your Jared's account through one of the rewards malls, you could get extra rewards on top of the ones you normally get.  Say for instance I had a Jared's card and I charged up $5,000 worth of merchandise.  If I were to go to the online Jared site to pay my card throguh Shop Discover, I stand to get an additional 5-10% stacked onto my normal reward, since it only registers as a transaction.  I don't know if that is the percentage through shop discover, but hey, that would add up nicely!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 27 of 45
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

I'm not showing Jared's listing under Discover reward mall. For that matter I dont see or show Jared's on any of my reward malls.

Message 28 of 45
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Credit314 wrote:

I'm not showing Jared's listing under Discover reward mall. For that matter I dont see or show Jared's on any of my reward malls.

They are in the rewards mall for Navy Federal, so I thought they were in all of them.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 29 of 45
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Oh I dont have them.

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.