Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didnt go so well with BOA credit analyst

tag
Ron6262
Regular Contributor

Re: Didnt go so well with BOA credit analyst

My thoughts exactly, I was just looking for a 1K care to replace my Cap 1 starter cards, and I got that with an approval with Discover and a 1K rewards care with Cap one, so I dont need BOA.  The Discover card is a pretty good card, 10% cash back at Home Depot this week and I just happen to need a refrigerator for the new house!!  I will purchase on it and pay off before due date and pocket $70.!!

Message 21 of 53
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

{{applause}}  Just a round of applause

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 22 of 53
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I applaud those saying BofA is stupid, they are. If anyone reading this thinks that those of us saying that are a bunch of whiners, it's probably only a matter of time until you're treated like crap from them, and I hope you plan accordingly for when you get slapped by them.

I'm done with BofA myself. Will be shutting down my personal and Biz accounts, as well as the garbage credit card I've had with them for the past 5yrs that is stuck at $500 for no good reason, after CLD from $2k a few years ago. I run close to $80k a month through biz+personal for the past 7yrs, paid thousands in fees, and been a loyal customer.  They refuse to budge, have wasted 2 hard inq with them over the past couple of years. I have even talked to their "executive team" idiots, and other than a cold ad condescending attitude from them, I did not come out any better. All of this while AMEX has shown me plenty of love, Chase, Discover, even Citi, etc... I've neve burned BofA in any way, but have burned many of those other creditors in the past. These clowns are disloyal, and will be the first to turn their backs on you no matter how deep you think your relationship is with them. 

I don't expect anything from them. However, I have dealt with their unscrupulous practices for years, charging for fees that they shouldn't, overcharging, instituting monthly fees overnight, CLD's, certain features disappearing overnight (free cashier checks, overdraft protection, and more) etc.. and I gave them many opportunities to try and make up for it, and they have too much hubris and stupidity at that bank to do even know what their business is all about (yeah try it, ask anyone at the bank Mgr's on down what their purpose statement or anything like that is, you will be met with blank stares).

I am currently working on that $250 Chase Biz account bonus and should have everything switched out of BofA within  2-3 weeks. That, + a Sapphire or Freedom that I will app for shortly after, and I will be much further ahead than I ever could have gotten with BofA.

Message 23 of 53
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

try another analyst

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 24 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar happened to me as well. Apped on weekend and they did not approved even on recon..

Message 25 of 53
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I agree that with persistence and trying multiple analysts, the OP may get a recon and end up with a card - as many have said it's literally a crap-shoot with these guys.

What many people in this thread seem to be saying is that it's not worth it. Do you really need an account, of any kind, with a bank who has no clue what they're doing, and no structure and are known to not play by the rules? For me, I would figure that it's only a matter of time until instead of their stupidity working in my favor, it may bite me in the rear. Difference with BofA is that they've been sued by our own govt. many times and have had to pay numerous record fines due to their shady business practices. To me, they are not a company that deserves the support of our wallets. It is ultimately they who need us, not us who need them - even if they make you feel otherwise.

I'm all for trying to get credit and challenging yourself, and have definitely been in the position before where I would feel that they were doing me a huge favor by giving me a card - so I am not trying to be negative towards anyone who is rebuilding or otherwise challenged and would like to acquire a card from them. For me, though, I have enough credit with other organizations that are more supportive of me and seem to be more interested in having me as a customer, and I feel that I am in a position to let them know how serious I feel their lack of loyalty and service is,  by shutting down all relationships with them and never looking back.

Message 26 of 53
compassion101
Established Contributor

I got denied from BOA for 8yo BK. I was told something very different though, that they like to see someone with a BK history not using credit at all.

I also got an answer pretty wrong with them, she asked how much my BK was for and I told her I thought it was in the 25k range (I think it was more like 60-70kish but figured she didn't have access to that info). She told me that there were BOA accounts included in the BK totalling 33K. I can't lie, I did chuckle a bit inside at how uncredible I musta sounded at that stage. I didn't even realize I had accounts with BOA in my BK, I didn't really pay much attention to who gave me credit at that time, all I knew was everyone wanted to give me credit at that time.

Anyway, she was kinda rude imo but that's business. They are just one company not in my plans for the near future and I'm sure I can get along in my financial life without them.

Message 27 of 53
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

I admit I messed up my first bank account with them in 98-99.  I was young and dumb.  The account charged off for ($153) and all that.  When I went to open another account in 2006, it came back to bite me in the rear and that's fine.  But they tried to hold my money (I opened the account with a BofA-drawn paycheck for 5500) for four weeks; a branch manager finally allowed me to withdraw my money to pay my bills (which was then late thank you) but at the end of the four weeks, they actually charged me an account closure fee for an account I never even used.  The worst part of the whole experience is they refused any deposits, so the fee would post and reverse because the account was at zero before.  Finally, another month later, I found a brach manager that accepted a deposit and ten days later, the check was cleared.  BofA reported my "negative" account handling to ChexSystems and Early Warning.  I wanted their secured card because of the 1,2,3 rewards and the fact that you can build a very high limit (I want a $10k card), but honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize they did me the favor!!!    I am mulling the idea of closing Cap1 and PNC because they have annual fees and yet I'm willing to get into bed with BofA and their $39 annual fee which is higher than the other two.  Because of the name BofA.  If a community bank or a credit union did us like BofA does, we would picket, revolt, and drop them out of business.  Hallejuah!  I'm so grateful!  This thread has helped me to open my eyes.  BofA needed the bailout to survive and their stock was so bad it seemed a bankruptcy filing was all but guaranteed.

Unrelated but needs to be said:  I mean, the federal government is chasing after a Georgia bank executive that embezzled $17 million and if they catch him he is facing 40 years in prison, but JP Morgan/Chase can lose $2 billion and Chase just says "Oops!  My bad!  Mea culpa!  Perdone!"  Really?

I think outside Walmart (which I really NEED) I'm just going to garden what I have and be DONE!   I'm not hurting for credit and really I'm just being vain looking for a $10k limit. 

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 28 of 53
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Its funny because ive had the best experience with BofA. Ive never been charged a fee on my checking/saving accounts. Have almost 10k in cc with them. and keep in mind i dont push thousands of money through my cc's(i think the biggest purchase was 3k). Chase in the other hand dont seem to like me very much.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 29 of 53
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Cannot agree more.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.