cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Amex Blue Cash Everyday vs Everyday?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Difference between Amex Blue Cash Everyday vs Everyday?

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on your goals. Do you want points or cashback? I have both cards but never use the BCE. I do use the everyday car, although right now I am working on min spend for two cards and the freedom is giving me a x5 at groccery stores so I am not currently using the everyday card. Keep in mind that I actively use Amex MRs for international premium travel and I have earned a bunch from signing up with other amex cards etc, so I value those more. If I wanted a cashback card I'd probably go with some 2% back card. 

Yep.   Despite the large popularity of the BCE here, from the point of view of earning cashback it's not a great card.  At best, it will earn $60 a year more than a 2% card, but if you are maxing out groceries, you are better off with the BCP (or BC).   And for that extra cash, you have to deal with a reward system that is both delayed and difficult ($25 increments).     But some people love it for the possibility of 3x CLI (which IMO doesn't have a value) and for Amex Offers (which is YMMV)

I'm sure the BCP would be a better choice but I'm not sure AMEX would give it to me just yet. I finally prequalified for the Everday card and BCE card. This is a small victory since they wouldnt even bother offering me anything before. I don't want to get ahead of myself and go for the gusto and apply for the BCP just to have them deny me. I'm sure I will be able to work my way up to it while strengthening my relationship with them by starting off with something that I do pre-qualify for. 

The general belief is that the BCP/BCE have identical underwriting standards, it's just a question of AF vs rewards.   So don't think you can get one and not the other.

Message 11 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I get the impression that travel points/miles offer more bang for the buck than cash rewards, but only once you get higher premium level cards with better returns, typically with a fee that needs to be justified by a certain lifestyle.  For example, it doesn't make much sense to pay AF for an Amex gold or platinum card unless you already travel often and can take advantage of the rebates and bonus points earned on travel expenses.  In exchange, though, you get higher value for points.  Lower tier rewards cards don't offer as much value for exchanging points.  No AF points cards end up returning about as much value as cash rewards, with points being less liquid.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it made more sense to focus on cash back rewards now, and then later on I might look at transitioning to points once I've got some savings again and can start taking advantage of higher tier cards like Amex gold or CSP or something.

I happen to have and like the BCE because it has a typical 3-2-1 cash rewards structure which makes it a nice supplement to a 1.5% or 2% flat rewards card.

I know what you mean but I don't think it's quite true as written.   In particular, the MR points earned by the Everyday are identical in value to the MR points earned on any other Amex MR card.   They transfer to partners at the same value.    With premium Amex cards you may get more perks, higher earning categories (or both) but the point will transfer the same way.

For Chase, the difference is redeeming URs at the Chase Portal.   A CSP/CSR will give more value than a Freedom here.   But for transferring, you can't with just a Freedom, but if you also have a transfer card, then points earned on the Freedom (when moved) with transfer to partners in exactly the same way as those earned with a CSP/CSR.

Now for Citi, the Thank You Preferred can transfer to JetBlue at a lower rate than that with the Premier/Prestige (which can also transfer to other partners) so your statement is true there!

Re BCE being a "nice supplement".  Well, maybe.   My point is that if you spend only a small amount on groceries, the gain over a 2% is very small.   And if you spend a lot, you do better with say the BCP.   So the question, as usual, would be, is there another card that will give more "total" rewards.   For those that include 3x CLI as value, and do well with Amex Offers, the answer might be "no".   For others, there are often many better choices.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on your goals. Do you want points or cashback? I have both cards but never use the BCE. I do use the everyday car, although right now I am working on min spend for two cards and the freedom is giving me a x5 at groccery stores so I am not currently using the everyday card. Keep in mind that I actively use Amex MRs for international premium travel and I have earned a bunch from signing up with other amex cards etc, so I value those more. If I wanted a cashback card I'd probably go with some 2% back card. 

Yep.   Despite the large popularity of the BCE here, from the point of view of earning cashback it's not a great card.  At best, it will earn $60 a year more than a 2% card, but if you are maxing out groceries, you are better off with the BCP (or BC).   And for that extra cash, you have to deal with a reward system that is both delayed and difficult ($25 increments).     But some people love it for the possibility of 3x CLI (which IMO doesn't have a value) and for Amex Offers (which is YMMV)

I'm sure the BCP would be a better choice but I'm not sure AMEX would give it to me just yet. I finally prequalified for the Everday card and BCE card. This is a small victory since they wouldnt even bother offering me anything before. I don't want to get ahead of myself and go for the gusto and apply for the BCP just to have them deny me. I'm sure I will be able to work my way up to it while strengthening my relationship with them by starting off with something that I do pre-qualify for. 

The general belief is that the BCP/BCE have identical underwriting standards, it's just a question of AF vs rewards.   So don't think you can get one and not the other.

Do they charge the AF on the first statement or do I have to pay it upfront? Also, since I only prequalified for the BCE, if I work on it for 6 months, would i be able to apply for the BCP without any issues possibly?

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I get the impression that travel points/miles offer more bang for the buck than cash rewards, but only once you get higher premium level cards with better returns, typically with a fee that needs to be justified by a certain lifestyle.  For example, it doesn't make much sense to pay AF for an Amex gold or platinum card unless you already travel often and can take advantage of the rebates and bonus points earned on travel expenses.  In exchange, though, you get higher value for points.  Lower tier rewards cards don't offer as much value for exchanging points.  No AF points cards end up returning about as much value as cash rewards, with points being less liquid.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it made more sense to focus on cash back rewards now, and then later on I might look at transitioning to points once I've got some savings again and can start taking advantage of higher tier cards like Amex gold or CSP or something.

I happen to have and like the BCE because it has a typical 3-2-1 cash rewards structure which makes it a nice supplement to a 1.5% or 2% flat rewards card.

I know what you mean but I don't think it's quite true as written.   In particular, the MR points earned by the Everyday are identical in value to the MR points earned on any other Amex MR card.   They transfer to partners at the same value.    With premium Amex cards you may get more perks, higher earning categories (or both) but the point will transfer the same way.

For Chase, the difference is redeeming URs at the Chase Portal.   A CSP/CSR will give more value than a Freedom here.   But for transferring, you can't with just a Freedom, but if you also have a transfer card, then points earned on the Freedom (when moved) with transfer to partners in exactly the same way as those earned with a CSP/CSR.

Now for Citi, the Thank You Preferred can transfer to JetBlue at a lower rate than that with the Premier/Prestige (which can also transfer to other partners) so your statement is true there!

Re BCE being a "nice supplement".  Well, maybe.   My point is that if you spend only a small amount on groceries, the gain over a 2% is very small.   And if you spend a lot, you do better with say the BCP.   So the question, as usual, would be, is there another card that will give more "total" rewards.   For those that include 3x CLI as value, and do well with Amex Offers, the answer might be "no".   For others, there are often many better choices.

So if I have both the Everyday and the BCE, would I be able to combine the cash back and MR points and redeem them together?

Message 14 of 24
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

As far as I know, MR and BCE cash are not interchangeable.

Message 15 of 24
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

All of that is absolutely correct.

I was mainly thinking about how UR points are worth more if you can transfer them to miles with a Sapphire card than if you just redeem them with a Freedom card.  In that sense they are worth more with a higher tier card.

And I stand corrected on the MRs.  You just earn them a lot faster in the upper tiers which makes those cards more valuable.

I'm not saying MR or UR points aren't worth it.  I was just sharing my perspective that for the kind of cards that fit my lifestyle right now, I'm better off just going with cash back.  Different people have different situations and goals.

EDIT: Also, full disclosure, part of the reason I applied for the BCE in the first place is because they had a special offer for 10% cash back on up to $2000 spend on restaurants for 6 months.  Once that promotion is done I'll still use it for gas and groceries vs. my QS which won't be as much.

Message 16 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If points or cash are better for you will depend on a couple of factors. You want to redeem for travel. So then the next question is what type of destinations, travel and class of service you are looking for. If you tend to do road trips or take inexpensive domestic flights and stay in less expensive hotels then cash back can be better. If you want to travel to things like international travel and fly first or business class, or stay at high end hotel properties in major cities then you are not going to be able to do that with cash back. Also, you need to consider how flexible your schedule is. If you are doing cash back you can simply buy tickets/hotels. If you are using points you have to leverage your awards carefully and sometimes you may not know which day you are departing on until within a few days, so you need a bit of flexibility when you travel. Finally it is often easier to find awards if you are travelling on your own or at most with one other person. If you have a larger family it can get more difficult finding multiple awards (this applies more to premium awards but still is worth mentioning). 

I'm doing a lot of domestic travel that includes flights, hotels, and cruises. The only non domestic destination I have planned right now is the caribbean but I'm not heavy on traveling internationally at the moment. Cash back seems like the better option for me but now I'm worried about how they pay it out/redeem it. Also why would I need a flexible schedule? Why would I not know which day I'm departing until a few days? I'm going to be traveling with significant other mostly and some trips with my 4 yr old. 

For cash back it doesn't matter since your paying cash as far as the airline is concerned. If you are redeeming awards then you can't just take any open seat. You can only redeem for award seats that are open. I'll put it in terms of a simple example so you can understand the difference. Lets say you have two cards. One is cash back and one is points. You earn the same amount on both cards. In this example we will say you earned 70000 points. If you redeem that for cash back you will have $700.00 to apply to airfare. Assuming there is a seat for sale on the plane you can use those points at anytime to buy a seat up to $700. Now if you had travel points you would not buy the seat directly with your points. Instead you would transfer your points to whatever airline program and either redeem for an award seat on that airline or redeem points with their program for another airline they are allied with. So in my example I could spend the 70k points on a first class ticket from NY to SE Asia which cost $11,362 in cash. Obviously I am getting a huge return in value there which makes travel points much more valuable for me.

The thing is that the airlines don't like to release many award seats in advance because they are hoping to sell the seats for people who will pay for them. Then when it looks like they won't sell them some airlines start releasing more award seats but that can be like two weeks before a flight or even a few days before the flight. Not to mention you have to compete against everyone else trying to snag those awards. If someone is flying economy and domestic destinations points don't make as much sense usually because you can only use them with select airlines. With cash back you buy a ticket on whatever airline is cheapest. Award redemptions for the most part involve cards with AFs and higher spend requirements. There are certain other benefits you can look into such as cards that may have companion passes, or if you check luggage airline cards that give free checked luggage etc. There are some point programs that give decent short haul redemptions but again if you don't have flexibility you may not be able to find awards on the dates you need which is why cash back is better when you do not have flexibility. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

After many failed attempts at trying to see if I pre-qualify for any offers through AMEX and two failed attempts at cold apping, I finally seen offers for the Amex Everyday and Blue Case Everday card (plus the green card but I dont care for it). I was super happy to see that because I figured they hated me and didn't want to bother with me but now I feel like I have some hope. My only question is, what is the difference between the two cards? Right now, AMEX said there aren't any Intro APRs or Welcome bonus offers, should I wait until they have one if they have any at all? Trying to continue gardening until this Dec for the majority of my inquiries to drop off. 

The blue cash earns cash back. The every day card earns Amex membership points that can be transferred to travel partners. 

In your opinion, is it worth starting off with the Everyday and perhaps apply for the BCE in 6 months or so or just go straight for the BCE and not bother with the Everyday card? 

You should apply for the card you want.

Message 18 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After many failed attempts at trying to see if I pre-qualify for any offers through AMEX and two failed attempts at cold apping, I finally seen offers for the Amex Everyday and Blue Case Everday card (plus the green card but I dont care for it). I was super happy to see that because I figured they hated me and didn't want to bother with me but now I feel like I have some hope. My only question is, what is the difference between the two cards? Right now, AMEX said there aren't any Intro APRs or Welcome bonus offers, should I wait until they have one if they have any at all? Trying to continue gardening until this Dec for the majority of my inquiries to drop off. 

OP the CSP is in your Goal Cards list. Is this still on your goal list?

How many cards do you have new in the last 24 months?

Gardening until December 2017 is definitely on your list.

Going for AMEX ED or BCE will potentially delay the CSP and will definitely kill your Silver Spade. You have the Chase Freedom earning 5 UR points on groceries through June 30, which takes out the Main Category of both ED and BCE during that time. I would suggest not apping for ED/BCE for several months, and waiting even longer, until after December, the CSP and after you get through the CSP bonus spend requirement.

And watch your garden spade get prettier and prettier.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely wait until they make you an offer you can't refuse. For BCE they were offering 10% back on restaurants for up to $200 in rewards and that just ended, so they may be changing their offer.

The Amex pre-qual seems to do an excellent job of evaluating your credit profile to determine how much they want you. I started geting offers earlier this year when my 2010 BK7 discharge hit the 6 year point, Amex not included. As I recall, the initial offer was $100 bonus for 90 day $1k spend, 12 mo. intro 0% APR, and that 10% restaurant rewards that didn't interest me. For several reasons I waited. I finally app'd & was approved 2 weeks ago when the offer was $150 bonus & 15 month 0%. But then someone posted here last week that their offer was a $250 spend bonus, so it seems to me their welcome offers change with how much your credit profile appeals to them.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.