Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between a revolver and charge card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between a revolver and charge card

Hi peeps. Smiley Tongue

I was recently approve for an AMEX BCE card with a limit of 15k. I have been reading the boards like crazy and Im not sure what the real difference is between a revolver and charge card. Im assuming w/ the revolver you can let the balance carry over until the next month and the charge card has to be paid in full? Is this correct?

Also, there is no way I'm going to spend over 10% of my card with Amex a month. Do you all think they will lower my balance if I don't use it as they think I should? Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Difference between a revolver and charge card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi peeps. Smiley Tongue

I was recently approve for an AMEX BCE card with a limit of 15k. I have been reading the boards like crazy and Im not sure what the real difference is between a revolver and charge card. Im assuming w/ the revolver you can let the balance carry over until the next month and the charge card has to be paid in full? Is this correct?

Also, there is no way I'm going to spend over 10% of my card with Amex a month. Do you all think they will lower my balance if I don't use it as they think I should? Thanks in advance. 

you have revolver and your CL is $15k and you will be asked to pay a minimum each month of probably 2% of your balance VS a charge card would not give you a set limit like your $15k and would let you charge within an internal limit they establish for you and that can change but you would be asked to pay your entire balance each month.

Message 2 of 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi peeps. Smiley Tongue

Yes what you stated is basically correct with a few exceptions regarding the charge cards, some people qualify to be able to carry a balance if needed

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi peeps. Smiley Tongue

A credit card allows you to keep a revolving balance. Basically, you don't have to pay in full. A charge card must be paid in full every month by the due date. On occasion, you might get a credit line extended on a charge card. The Amex BCE is a credit card and not a charge card (Amex Green, Gold, Plat, PRG, etc are charge cards). 

Using less than 10% of your card is unlikely to get you a CLD. I have accounts with 30-50k limits where I have charged 1-2 (usually 1 itunes song each) dollars every 6 months without a CLD. None of my Amex lines are that high, but I charge very little on my Amex cards at the moment and I have ~34k in limits across my Amex cards and have not received a CLD. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. Thanks everyone for your prompt reply! I haven't had a cc in years and just got my first one w/ Cap One a few months ago. This is all so new to me.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.