Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in Ritz and Marriott?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difference in Ritz and Marriott?

Marriott points are kinda sucky for value. And by kinda I mean REALLY. I believe 140K Marriott points is the current tradein for 50K AA miles which can be really flexible valuewise.
Message 11 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Marriott points are kinda sucky for value. And by kinda I mean REALLY. I believe 140K Marriott points is the current tradein for 50K AA miles which can be really flexible valuewise.

All hotel points (except starpoints) transfer crappily to airline miles. You'll almost always get the best value by using points for their intended purpose. You can get well over a cent per point with marriott points on the right redemption. Just needs to be an expensive time of year. 

Message 12 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

REALLY?!

What about British vs AA?

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true. If award availability is even available though. I have rarely gotten over 1 cent per point value on Marriott points. I think 1.4 was the record so far.
Message 14 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

REALLY?!

What about British vs AA?

It's just a bad idea UNLESS you use a hotel + air package. Great value there. 

Message 15 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is true. If award availability is even available though. I have rarely gotten over 1 cent per point value on Marriott points. I think 1.4 was the record so far.

That's about what I got for my NYC trip. The value skyrockets on stays of 5+ nights because of the 5th night free. 

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id take AA miles vs BA for long haul, particularly premium cabin air travel. BA for short haul/cattle class.
Message 17 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

so sounds like keep gold and pay for the base hotel and get upgrades and such for marriott and ritz but putting $25k+ spend a year wont' be better than 2% fidelity or 3% AARP.

and AA unless I spend more than $50k a year I don't see how I can even get 2 tickets a year for free without doing actual travel to earn some of the in-betweens and our travel is limited I just want to travel better when we do!

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are always ways to earn miles without significant spend, young padawan.
Message 19 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

+1 to Tulomne Smiley Tongue

As far as what cards to use, to me the marriott card isn't a spend card, neither is the ritz card. I put a few charges on my marriott card to keep it active, and I put 10k on my ritz card to maintain gold status. I'll also put any marriott hotel spend on my ritz card (unless I booked it with 4th night free through citi prestige).

All my AA spend goes on my aviator card, and most of my other spend goes on my forward or prestige.
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.