Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in Ritz and Marriott?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difference in Ritz and Marriott?

I missed out on the 140k, but otherwise ditto with gold status, rooms, ugrades, global entry (just credited today!)  etc. I've planned to do the 10k spend to keep gold for at least another year, and then decide. 

Message 41 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Just curious, you guys find the fee worth on the JPM Ritz's?

Absolutely.I won't be counting the 140k points in my valuation of the card, just the actual benefits that continue.

I did 5 nights at the JW essex house. Breakfast was like $40/person/day, and there was three of us. So that alone saved us $600 (if I were to eat breakfast at the hotel every day). Alternatively, the upgrade to club level was over $100 a day, so it was a winner either way. Plus, in that location there's not really a cheap breakfast place nearby. 

When I stayed in germany, I paid like $110/night and got upgraded to a grand executive suite courtesy of the gold status. Was quite a bit more expensive than the standard room I booked. Also received breakfast here every day courtesy of the gold status. was 27EUR a day, and I had a guest 3 times at breakfast which was comped as well. So that was like 300 euro 

(The above are all just gold status perks, I'm not going to include every experience cause...it's the same everywhere, you all get the picture)

I've so far only used 1 club level upgrade cert (though I may be using one in december), and that was at the RC Pentagon City just outside of DC. Saved me $100 a night on the base room rate, but that jumps up a bit when you consider I also didn't have to pay tax on that rate that was $100 more. Plus I got that $100 hotel credit. This stay alone paid the annual fee. There can also be tremendous value here at other hotels. For instance, I know that the Ritz Orlando Grande lakes in november has standard rooms available for like $360 a night, and club level rooms are $889, and there is no restriction on me using an upgrade cert as long as there is a club level room available. There can be TREMENDOUS values in these certs, but it will be mostly at the more expensive ritz hotels. However, if you make say, one very expensive hotel stay a year, you can recoup thousands over a 7 night stay. 

Bought $600 in airline gift cards, hard to beat that. Also used the loungeclub access once (at STN) and actually found the lounge to be pretty nice. They even lent me a cell phone charger while I was there. Great hot food, and everything. Was a pleasant surprise. Only LoungeClub lounge I visited, as the lounges seem pretty rare in the domestic airports I've visited. Made far greater use of the Admiral's Club benefit from the prestige in this case.

One of the great benefits of this card is one that I think is often overlooked. AUs are free. AUs will get their own LoungeClub card, as well as all of the "visa signature" benefits like primary rental insurance and all that jazz. While you're allowed guests in LoungeClub lounges, they can get in without you. 

Last but not least, the customer service of the JPM Priority Services line is unmatched by any other lender. I also find the concierge to be far easier to communicate with than any other. All 100%  US based, and rarely if ever, do you end up on hold. 

Without counting the gold status benefits that's over $1000 just from the single club level upgrade I used, the airline gift cards. Add in the amount of money you can save by being a gold elite, on both room upgrades, breakfast (or lounge access) and you're talking big money for a reasonable price. 

Message 42 of 44
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Just curious, you guys find the fee worth on the JPM Ritz's?

Overall it's worth it for me, primarily due to the benefits I get at the Ritz/Marriott. I don't stay 50 nights a year, so this is quite valuable.

The other benefits are medicore at best IMO.

At times I find myself wondering how I am going to spend the $300 airline credit. Most of the time I'm in J or F, so there's very little use for incidentals.

I already have a full United Club membership, so Lounge Club is also of limited value.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 43 of 44
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:
I did this year because of the 140k sign up bonus, gold status and the travel credit which we got global entry and such... Next year, unclear with all the folks pointing out terrible returns.

Ooh that reminds me, went to target today for the target Amex and I could only pay the fee with credit card, not load it? I thought you could load $5k a month on it?!

Nope, can't load with CC (if you're referring to the Redbird).  Rules/restrictions changed effective May of this year.

Tiny Disclaimer - my above response was in no way, shape, or form advocating of any taboo topic but simply clarifying a change in the program. 

Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.