cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult time sitting on my hands...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difficult time sitting on my hands...

I'd assume that you don't spend $20k every month and that's the rough amount on which you're paying monthly interest. You need to work on whittling that down a bit and forget about getting new cards.  Your objective at this point should be to remove, not add, cards from your wallet. Shave your debt down.  Worry about rewards only when you're no longer paying any interest. Interest rates kill any rewards earned anyway. 

Message 21 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I have like 15-20 cards, both store and bankcards-that won't tank your score. The fact that your util is so high, esp on your larger limit cards, is not so good for new lenders. If you can pay your balances down a little over the next few months, maybe grow the lines a little, then do a 0% BT, you would be in a better position.

Another note:
While having a lot of credit cards is managable, you really have to consider what that requires...
For example, to keep a card active and not "closed at credit grantor's request", you need to charge on every card at least once every six months to a year. You also really want to be sure to take care of the larger credit lines too, as they have thE largest potential to affect your score positively/negatively.

:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 33
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

You have made good progress. Just keep paying them off!

With high util, you are stuck in "toy land" for a while. Give it a year and get those cards paid down / off. Once you are uner 10% util, the lendors will give you the limits you want and you can kill off some of those cards. Really, 4 or 5 with $20k limits is all you need.

I have been in your position, twice and I vowed the last time I get it all paid off I would nover go there again. Now, when I apply for something, I am given a nice high limit and a low APR.

Keep working at it - you are doing a great job and each month get's you closer to your goal.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 23 of 33
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree.  The best course of action is paying those down.  Start with the smaller ones first, pay them off and then take that payment and roll it into the next one.  Kind of like the snowball effect.  Keep paying them off, then when you get them paid down, you can go for a bigger card.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 24 of 33
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

holy crap! who needs all those cards?  and you want more?   I can barely track payments on 3 cards. 

I'm sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful, and it's just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off focusing your financial efforts more productively than in playing credit card games, say -- in building savings. 

Message 25 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I already KNOW what I need to do, just having difficulty staying "on task".

I did refinance one automobile earlier this month, reducing the interest rate AND the monthly payment...so I AM making progress, just have a loooong way to go and am trying to "speed up" the process.

One day at a time....

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 26 of 33
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yeah, seems to me you might max out another credit card if you got one with high limit.  Looking at your list. You are basically maxed out.  7ish of your free utilization is coming from that Kay card.   Take that out of equation and you are maxed with ficos in low low 600s.  Chase for example discounts/ignores store cards when it comes to utilization.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 27 of 33
Jlu
Established Contributor

OP I now understand your sig.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 28 of 33
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

OP I now understand your sig.

Ain't it the truth?  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 29 of 33
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Hang in there OP!  I've been following your progress (here and here), and if you can stick with your plan of paying off one card a month until all your balances are zero, you'll be some kind of FICO legend/hero.  That would be an accomplishment greater than getting approved for some credit card.  So, don't feel like you're sitting on your hands doing nothing; you're doing a lot just by sticking with your plan!

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.