Diner Club Tid Bits!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diner Club Tid Bits!

@thom02099 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

My partners CLI was FLAT OUT DENIED after a week.

He was approved in Oct for $15k, asked for $50k to match Navy.

1. Diners said not to apply for a CLI again for 8 Months!!

2. Diners club does NOT counter your request... he says if cardholder is asking for $50k, we assume the needs are for $50k and we try to approve that or nothing.

not sure the logic that if the needs are $50k but you can't do $50k how declining completely is better than "trying" to meet the needs!

3. They seem to also have gotten INQ sensitive all the way to a year now! certainly was not an issue in Oct.

They are SD unless we need to carry a hidden balance otherwise the rewards are about the worse of any card we carry.

So I guess that translates to "ask only for what you need" which certainly makes sense from their viewpoint.   Just hard to guess compared with Amex and others~!

Shouldn't that apply for ANY card?  If you don't "need" $50K, why ask for it?  Frankly, I was shocked when Diners Club gave me $50K out the gate, but I won't quibble.  I would have been perfectly satisfied with $10-$15K. 

Guess I'm not the "norm" here, in that I'm very satisfied with the limits I have.  I still get auto CLI occasionally, but I'm certainly not going to pursue any further CLI.  At some point, one needs to be satisfied with what they have...and I am.  And grateful as well.

Some much wisdom! THANKS for inspiring me!

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rewards for the $95 card might not be that great compared to something like CSP, but the CSP is also chip and signature vs. DC's chip and PIN. And now that Navy Federal is doing chip and signature too it's IMO unlikely any other cards with decent rewards will ever prefer PIN over signature.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Rewards for the $95 card might not be that great compared to something like CSP, but the CSP is also chip and signature vs. DC's chip and PIN. And now that Navy Federal is doing chip and signature too it's IMO unlikely any other cards with decent rewards will ever prefer PIN over signature.

Not fantastic no. It's really too bad they got hammered like they did or the apps might still be open today.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not fantastic no. It's really too bad they got hammered like they did or the apps might still be open today.

I wonder if they'll bring back apps once the one year clock's up (CARD act), just with different terms and rewards this time.

Message 14 of 25
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Hopefully they bring something back, looking to get the Elite if that's what they are even gonna call it when they do take apps again.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that whole incident scared bmo Harris, and possibly scarred for life, well I got my diners card and happy 😄
Message 16 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

My partners CLI was FLAT OUT DENIED after a week.

He was approved in Oct for $15k, asked for $50k to match Navy.

1. Diners said not to apply for a CLI again for 8 Months!!

2. Diners club does NOT counter your request... he says if cardholder is asking for $50k, we assume the needs are for $50k and we try to approve that or nothing.

not sure the logic that if the needs are $50k but you can't do $50k how declining completely is better than "trying" to meet the needs!

3. They seem to also have gotten INQ sensitive all the way to a year now! certainly was not an issue in Oct.

They are SD unless we need to carry a hidden balance otherwise the rewards are about the worse of any card we carry.

So I guess that translates to "ask only for what you need" which certainly makes sense from their viewpoint.   Just hard to guess compared with Amex and others~!

Shouldn't that apply for ANY card?  If you don't "need" $50K, why ask for it?  Frankly, I was shocked when Diners Club gave me $50K out the gate, but I won't quibble.  I would have been perfectly satisfied with $10-$15K. 

Guess I'm not the "norm" here, in that I'm very satisfied with the limits I have.  I still get auto CLI occasionally, but I'm certainly not going to pursue any further CLI.  At some point, one needs to be satisfied with what they have...and I am.  And grateful as well.

I'm in your camp on CLIs in general , but the point is that people have learned, with Amex in particular, ask for the full 3x, and they will counter if necessary, so you don't need to consider what you need in those cases.

But I disagree with your last point, there is no real need to be satisfied with what you have.   You can always try for more (or not, and be dissatisfied with what you have!).

But for me it's not about CL per se:   more about getting cards that give some value

Message 17 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I'm not sure why you would think Diners, in their stealth/turtle mode would be interested in matching Navy Smiley Happy

+1 im waiting for them to come out of hibernation to ask for increase. ive had my card already 6 months. and waiting to ask for increase. but im afraid since im at 60 percent usage. maybe they will feel i have a need for increase . glad to know the info ca got.

edit> guess i barely got foot in door with 5k limit. but i still luv the card. nothing showing or cr. another 5k would do me just fine.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a whim I tried adding my DC card to Apple Pay and it said "could not add card" instead of "your card isn't supported". I know it already has contactless but I wonder if they're going to support Apple Pay soon as well.

Message 19 of 25
aav
Established Contributor

I asked for a 10k -20k increase and they gave me a 5k increase from 30k to 35k. This is after a mis-keyed payment my hubby made where they pulled my credit report -I was devastated lol.. they were hesitant but used the same hp to give me an increase. Originally I just wanted the hp removed but they wouldn't do that.

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.