Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diner Club Tid Bits!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Diner Club Tid Bits!

My partners CLI was FLAT OUT DENIED after a week.

He was approved in Oct for $15k, asked for $50k to match Navy.

1. Diners said not to apply for a CLI again for 8 Months!!

2. Diners club does NOT counter your request... he says if cardholder is asking for $50k, we assume the needs are for $50k and we try to approve that or nothing.

not sure the logic that if the needs are $50k but you can't do $50k how declining completely is better than "trying" to meet the needs!

3. They seem to also have gotten INQ sensitive all the way to a year now! certainly was not an issue in Oct.

They are SD unless we need to carry a hidden balance otherwise the rewards are about the worse of any card we carry.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Diner Club Tid Bits!

@Creditaddict wrote:

2. Diners club does NOT counter your request... he says if cardholder is asking for $50k, we assume the needs are for $50k and we try to approve that or nothing.

not sure the logic that if the needs are $50k but you can't do $50k how declining completely is better than "trying" to meet the needs!

3. They seem to also have gotten INQ sensitive all the way to a year now! certainly was not an issue in Oct.

They are SD unless we need to carry a hidden balance otherwise the rewards are about the worse of any card we carry.

So I guess that translates to "ask only for what you need" which certainly makes sense from their viewpoint.   Just hard to guess compared with Amex and others~!

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Sounds about right. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Did they do a HP for the CLI request?

Message 4 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes!
Message 5 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

I'm not sure why you would think Diners, in their stealth/turtle mode would be interested in matching Navy Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I'll keep that in mind, CA. Thanks for letting us know.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

3% at Grocery, Drug and Gas are the worst?

1.6/1 for SPG and better than 1/1 on lots of transfer partners is the worst?

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IWOL wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

3% at Grocery, Drug and Gas are the worst?

1.6/1 for SPG and better than 1/1 on lots of transfer partners is the worst?

When you are paying $300 AF it's not that great unless you are having sundae parties daily and giving out diesel at the truck stop.

Message 9 of 25
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

So I guess that translates to "ask only for what you need" which certainly makes sense from their viewpoint.   Just hard to guess compared with Amex and others~!

Shouldn't that apply for ANY card?  If you don't "need" $50K, why ask for it?  Frankly, I was shocked when Diners Club gave me $50K out the gate, but I won't quibble.  I would have been perfectly satisfied with $10-$15K. 

Guess I'm not the "norm" here, in that I'm very satisfied with the limits I have.  I still get auto CLI occasionally, but I'm certainly not going to pursue any further CLI.  At some point, one needs to be satisfied with what they have...and I am.  And grateful as well.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.