cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diner's Club cardholders, how has chip been in the US for you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diner's Club cardholders, how has chip been in the US for you?

I know a lot of places still can't read the chip but I am curious since more places are turning on the chip slots now.

For me it's been fine at places like Home Depot and Walmart that allow you to swipe/insert the card yourself, but I've run into some situations where chip and signature was less of a hassle. A couple of places have rejected the card (though this was a while ago and they may have fixed things since then) and asked if I had a different one because of the PIN. I've also had to be taken to the employee only area at one restaurant recently to enter the PIN.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diner's Club cardholders, how has chip been in the US for you?

Not a Diner's Club cardholder, but I've been thoroughly disappointed by the lack of chip acceptance in the US.  Home depot is about the only place I've been able to regularly use my chip.

Eventually, it will get better.  Visa and Mastercard's October deadline will see to that.  But, for now, us advocates of the secure ways will have to suffer.

Message 2 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

Its not been an issue. as it swipes just fine with the magnetic stripe. since most merchants don't use chip non factor. but im sure it will be fine in canada or europe. maybe even asia. funny you say this. as i just whipped out my DCP for the first time in months. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

Its not been an issue. as it swipes just fine with the magnetic stripe. since most merchants don't use chip non factor. but im sure it will be fine in canada or europe. maybe even asia. funny you say this. as i just whipped out my DCP for the first time in months. Smiley Wink

I don't expect the chip to be a problem outside the US at all. I just wonder if PIN might cause problems inside the US once more places accept chip. Then again my spending habits may very well lean heavily towards places that never had separate PIN pads before so your experience may be different.

Message 4 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Never had a problem and a couple of small merchants use the pin feature without the need for a signature. 100% of the time I've used it, online, or card in hand its gone through right away.

Message 5 of 10
dilettante
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

I don't expect the chip to be a problem outside the US at all. I just wonder if PIN might cause problems inside the US once more places accept chip. Then again my spending habits may very well lean heavily towards places that never had separate PIN pads before so your experience may be different.

I only use the Diner's for the 3X category so like you, don't get to use chip feature since the places I go to (supermarkets, gas, drugstores) have not turned on their chip readers yet.  Was great using it in Europe - was able to use it at supermarkets, drug stores and few restaurants and made the transactions go through so quickly and easily.  Can't wait til US makes it standard.

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pipeguy wrote:

Never had a problem and a couple of small merchants use the pin feature without the need for a signature. 100% of the time I've used it, online, or card in hand its gone through right away.

Same here.  No issues using with PIN.  The only time it had a tiny hiccup was using it with a merchant whose PIN terminal wasn't working but the one next to it was fine.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm starting to wonder if I had some seriously bad luck with my Diner's Club chip experiences in the US now. Cat Tongue

Does it ask for PIN at Home Depot? I heard that chip and PIN cards behave like chip and signature cards there right now.

Message 8 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I've only used the PIN at a few small stores that insists on using a PIN card as designed, and at Walmart. Insert, punch in pin, say thank you and go home (no signature required). Everywhere else it's just a swipe and signature just like any other card. As far as HD, I use my HD card there so I have no experience using Diners at HD... sorry.

Message 9 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I've used the PIN feature many times at this local Mexican restaurant. The very first time they looked suprised and asked me if it was a debit but then after they just hand me the pinpad.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.