tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Diners Club Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually have an AAdvantage Diners Club - of course, not issued by a US financial institution, but rather a South American one. Diners Club is the main card used in South American countries and they market them heavily. (Oh, and like AMEX here in the US, they're NPSL charge cards)

If you have any questions about the card, feel free to ask!

Hey @Anonymous, I have a quick question... do you have any problems using your AAdvantage Diner's Club in the U.S.? 

I know that in theory it should be accepted anywhere Discover is, but since there are more than a few tales of Discover not working correctly overseas (when technically it should) I am just wondering if you have similar issues, but in the reverse.

Thanks!  Smiley Happy

@Anonymous depends, @UncleB. I've actually had far less success than AMEX. I haven't had my AMEX declined yet, but my Diners Club gets declined more often than not. 

The funny thing is, on receipts, it can either show up as Discover or Diners Club, depending on the cc processor the merchant uses. Also, not everywhere that takes Discover takes Diners Club, as the number structure is different (more similar to AMEX than Discover) so it'll just say "Invalid card type", even if they take Discover. 

I tried using my Discover in Ecuador last year, and it worked great, since it processed as a Diners Club transaction Smiley Happy

After reading your happenin's with the card and various processing networks ... I am confused ... time for a drink Smiley Wink

Make that two. Someone else is interested in joining.

I'm not 100% sure that any of this is any more to my understanding than it started out to be even after several good explanations.

Message 21 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Being that Union Pay and JCB also will run on the Discover Network, will they also work as Diners Club in other countries?

Message 22 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually have an AAdvantage Diners Club - of course, not issued by a US financial institution, but rather a South American one. Diners Club is the main card used in South American countries and they market them heavily. (Oh, and like AMEX here in the US, they're NPSL charge cards)

If you have any questions about the card, feel free to ask!

Hey @Anonymous, I have a quick question... do you have any problems using your AAdvantage Diner's Club in the U.S.? 

I know that in theory it should be accepted anywhere Discover is, but since there are more than a few tales of Discover not working correctly overseas (when technically it should) I am just wondering if you have similar issues, but in the reverse.

Thanks!  Smiley Happy

@Anonymous depends, @UncleB. I've actually had far less success than AMEX. I haven't had my AMEX declined yet, but my Diners Club gets declined more often than not. 

The funny thing is, on receipts, it can either show up as Discover or Diners Club, depending on the cc processor the merchant uses. Also, not everywhere that takes Discover takes Diners Club, as the number structure is different (more similar to AMEX than Discover) so it'll just say "Invalid card type", even if they take Discover. 

I tried using my Discover in Ecuador last year, and it worked great, since it processed as a Diners Club transaction Smiley Happy

After reading your happenin's with the card and various processing networks ... I am confused ... time for a drink Smiley Wink

Make that two. Someone else is interested in joining.

I'm not 100% sure that any of this is any more to my understanding than it started out to be even after several good explanations.

It does get a bit confusing.

Diner's Club cards that run on the legacy Diner's Club network (which is now owned by Discover) have a shorter account number; the one I had back in the 90s that was issued by Citibank had a 14 digit account number that started with a "3".  It sounds like the cards issued in Ecuador are similar to this. 

The Diner's Club cards that we have in the U.S. today, on the other hand, are issued by BMO Harris and are actually MasterCard (and run on the MasterCard network).

It's good to hear that U.S. Discover cards work well in South America... it's not something we hear too much about on here.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a follow-up point ... the original real Diners Club Charge Cards back in the old days had a fifteen digit account number and started with the number "3" the same as American Express.
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.