Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club Dispute Process

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Diners Club Dispute Process

Does anybody have any experience with disputing a charge with Diners Club? Very long story short, the dealership accepted credit cards for down payment so figured I might as well get the points (and as it turns out protection). I ended up returning the car, which was an ugly process and the dealership hasn't reversed the charge even though they agreed to. I opened a dispute with Diners Club so hopefully it will work out on that end rather than me going back to the dealership and wasting more time.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Diners Club Dispute Process

I don't have any knowledge on this but did some googling. Only found stories for disputing a charge with DC from 2002. The story just mentioned it was a long process of 6+ weeks for them. But that is from 2002.

I would assume like any lender it shouldn't be an issue, they will probably do their normal investigation and what not.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Skye. I didn't google (doh!) it yet. Interestingly, the first CSR I spoke to told me I couldn't dispute it since I didn't purchase the full price of the car on their card. Then he said I needed to wait 30 days from the date I returned it. just about lost it, but fortunately when I called back a day later and explained the entire situation from start to finish they opened a dispute.
Message 3 of 26
taxi818
Super Contributor

Wow. I'm just in shock you returned a car after driving away with it. Wow. Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Taxi, it was the first time this happened to me. Almost 3 weeks later they wanted to change the terms. Of note, I used Penfed car buying service and the Dealership quoted me a much lower price, but honored it, plus I had a $3500 incentive. So out the door the car was around $10k under sticker price. I think they felt ripped off, but that discussion should have happened before I left the lot!
Message 5 of 26
taxi818
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Taxi, it was the first time this happened to me. Almost 3 weeks later they wanted to change the terms. Of note, I used Penfed car buying service and the Dealership quoted me a much lower price, but honored it, plus I had a $3500 incentive. So out the door the car was around $10k under sticker price. I think they felt ripped off, but that discussion should have happened before I left the lot!

wow 10k below sticker. so you outgunned a shady salesman. hehehe. then they wanted to change all. i would have taken it back as well. im car shopping right now. and i know on the used cars they have at least 40% markup. Looking at 2012 Benz e350. im not paying a dime over $22k. hehehe. but for another thread. im sure Diners will refund. just will take them some time. im surprised the dealer took so long to get you your money back. If they ever want to do business with you again.

Message 6 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

So did you actually use the PenFed car buying service, or that was one of the quotes and the dealer had a different qoute?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

NRB, that was the quote through Penfed, to clarify I didn't finance it through Penfed. I should have known something was fishy when the salesman tried to give me a higher price than what he quoted me the day before.

Taxi, it was actually for a 2016 Mercedes E550 coupe (love that V8!!). When I went back they said "let's get you financed for a rebuilder car!" What the heck?!?! I have a 2014 Touareg financed at 1.9% through Penfed. I decided I'll just drive it for a few more years. Ive. filed a BBB complaint and am preparing a complaint to the CA Consumer Protection Bureau against the dealerships sales practices.

Hopefully Diners Club comes through and processes the dispute. They told me I'm not responsible for any minimum payment or finance charges while the dispute is investigated.
Message 8 of 26
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

did you drive off with the car or never came to that?

Message 9 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Go fico, I had the car 3 weeks!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.