Did you mean: 

Diners Club MC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diners Club MC

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm hijacking my own thread.

Does anyone know why Diners Club has a mastercard when I thought it was on the discover network (diners club logo on the back of discover cards)? 

I dunno? But this is interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diners_Club_International#Carte_Blanche

That is the charge card version. 

Message 11 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

Apparently in 2004 Diners Club gave up on fighting for payment network share in the North American market and had all the cards converted to MasterCard payment network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diners_Club_International

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:
Hidden TL, generous CLs, low-ish APR

No longer available for new applications

Thanks.

How come they no longer accept applications?

From what I understand there was major abuse of the elite cards 3x categories via MS. This was a contributing factor as well. Many people who were doing MS had their accounts shut down.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

First you need to understand diners club. There are two desperate divisions. The one discover purchased was diners club international. So they could have international recognition. In most countries they still have regular diners club international networks. Which is a 14 digit card starting with a 3 like Amex. With that network you can use your discover. There was also diners club North America. Which citi purchased in 2004. After the American branch went belly up. Discover did not purchase citi sold it to bmo Harris. Which is the sole issuer of cards. They use MasterCard as network. But the card is true diners club. Discover has access to the original network only to process transactions. But they can't issue cards. So they have sticker in back of card telling you that you can use the network. So it's simple. Like a Macy's Amex. Uses Amex network. But can't issue a real Amex. Same with discover and diners club and bmo Harris. Hope you understand now. Bmo Harris card is only one on MasterCard network to be more accepted. The regular diners network is rarely accepted. Even abroad. Just go to the website s f you will see over 80 countries issuing their own diners on the 14 digit card network. Looks just like bmo Harris card.
Message 14 of 22
drboxing
Established Contributor

Does the Diners Club Card have to be paid in full every month like AMEX?

Message 15 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@drboxing wrote:

Does the Diners Club Card have to be paid in full every month like AMEX?

The consumer versions (Elite & Premier) that were offered last year, no.  Both are revolving products.  However, they are no longer available.  Previous Diners Club cards inherited from Citi (i.e. Professional) were offered in both revolving and charge card versions with the latter requiring PIF just like AmEx charge cards.

Message 16 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

Actually saw to professional versions this week. Of course with the MasterCard logo. Company corporate cards of course.
Message 17 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

Meant to say two. Not to.
Message 18 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I had a Diner's Club card back in the late 90s (with the shorter account number that started with a '3'), and it was novel but cumbersome to use.  It was accepted at travel related merchants (including gas stations), anchor stores at the mall, and restaurants (not fast food).  Other than those categories, with a few exceptions you were pretty much out of luck.  More than once I was told the card wasn't accepted even at merchants that had signage that stated it was.  With a little persistence the cashier/server would eventually just swipe it (and it worked) but it became a hassle - I've never been one to appreciate having to "train" cashiers to do their job.

The card was PIF like Amex, but instead of being net-30, there was an option built in to let you go net-60 with no penalty.  If I recall correctly the AF was $100+, and I already had Amex so it was a bit of overkill.  My card was issued by Citibank, and they sent me a 'Pre-Approval' for the account (I didn't seek it out).  Back then my attitude was 'the more the merrier' when it came to credit... looking back, it was foolish to pay an AF to have an additional PIF card when I already had an Amex, but of course hindsight is always 20/20.

The 'new' Diner's Club is quite a bit better (being MasterCard) and it being unavailable to most people only adds to the mystique.  Also, since it's a true chip/PIN card it can be especially useful for folks that travel overseas often.  Like others here have mentioned, the trade line is now hidden (it wasn't on the account I had) and anecdotally the credit lines given by BMO Harris tend to be quite generous, although this may have more to do with the credit profile of the applicants.

If it is made available again, many folks will app for it merely for the novelty, and there's nothing wrong with that (I was once that way as well).  My focus now is in value, and for me there's no reason to pay an AF when I have plenty of no annual fee cards with sufficient credit lines, and I don't travel so the lounge access and chip/PIN isn't important at this time (again, to me).  For the right person, though, it would be a nice card.

Message 19 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well this time last year. The card was a hot cake. They could not keep up with the number of apps taken. It was incredible. I got in with a tu 693. 5k limit. Thin file. So I was ecstatic. Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.