Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club Premier Keep or Ditch? UPDATE: Closed 9/30/16

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Diners Club Premier Keep or Ditch? UPDATE: Closed 9/30/16

Well I will be faced with this decision in the next few months whether to keep my Diners Club Premier or kick it to the curb. I personally don't see any use for it since it is currently a sd card and has a $95 annual fee. I do not travel abroad(where it truly shines). And every since it started reporting to all bureaus, it just lost its appeal to me. I am leaning heavily towards closing it. But, want to hear feedback from you guys. I understand the nostalgia of having a Diners Club card. Especially since it's uncertain when or if it's ever coming back. But, I am just not one of those people who likes to hang on to cards that I have absolutely no use for. It has a $10k limit. But, with $280k in total credit, I won't miss it. Keep or ditch? What say you? Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diners Club Keep or Ditch?

@baller4life wrote:

Well I will be faced with this decision in the next few months whether to keep my Diners Club Premier or kick it to the curb. I personally don't see any use for it since it is currently a sd card and has a $95 annual fee. I do not travel abroad(where it truly shines). And every since it started reporting to all bureaus, it just lost its appeal to me. I am leaning heavily towards closing it. But, want to hear feedback from you guys. I understand the nostalgia of having a Diners Club card. Especially since it's uncertain when or if it's ever coming back. But, I am just not one of those people who like to hang on to cards that I have absolutely no use for. It has a $10k limit. But, with $280k in total credit, I won't miss it. Keep or ditch? What say you? Smiley Very Happy

If you arent using for the points transfer then there really is no use for the card.  It's not really a Diner's card in the sense we used to know the card, it's just a plain ole MasterCard (WEMC but I know you have others).  I'm keeping mine because I do use like the points transfer to SPG for now but I don't see any point in keeping yours open and paying the AF.

Message 2 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Well I will be faced with this decision in the next few months whether to keep my Diners Club Premier or kick it to the curb. I personally don't see any use for it since it is currently a sd card and has a $95 annual fee. I do not travel abroad(where it truly shines). And every since it started reporting to all bureaus, it just lost its appeal to me. I am leaning heavily towards closing it. But, want to hear feedback from you guys. I understand the nostalgia of having a Diners Club card. Especially since it's uncertain when or if it's ever coming back. But, I am just not one of those people who like to hang on to cards that I have absolutely no use for. It has a $10k limit. But, with $280k in total credit, I won't miss it. Keep or ditch? What say you? Smiley Very Happy

If you arent using for the points transfer then there really is no use for the card.  It's not really a Diner's card in the sense we used to know the card, it's just a plain ole MasterCard (WEMC but I know you have others).  I'm keeping mine because I do use like the points transfer to SPG for now but I don't see any point in keeping yours open and paying the AF.

The only points transfer partner I could use is IHG. And I have used it once before. However, I will be adding CSP down the road to transfer to United and could use for IHG as well(which is not a good use of UR points I have been told). And as far as hotel programs, I plan to switch to HHonors as my main hotel chain anyways. Citi HHonors is on my app list when I leave the garden. And I can pair it with Amex HHonors.Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oohhh, switching to Hilton? Traitor Smiley Wink! I'm in the close it if you don't use it camp! Especially if it has an AF and your not using it.
Message 4 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Oohhh, switching to Hilton? Traitor Smiley Wink! I'm in the close it if you don't use it camp! Especially if it has an AF and your not using it.

Haha, I will still keep IHG. I still have plenty of points to use.Smiley Happy And that annual free stay makes it earn its keep. LOL

Message 5 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't you have a Hyatt at one point as well?? @Baller
Message 6 of 53
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

+1

The points transfer for me has also been totally worth both my $20K each Diners Club pair however unlike your choice with Premiere i been mulling over the Elite lately which as everyone knows carries a formidable enough $300 AF. Might keep the Elite at least one more year but like you just don't know yet.

With no long distance travel plans forthcoming that i can see right now it's a toss up ATM. The hidden TL was sweet while it lasted too.

If you have no real use for the Premiere that you can see i'm sure the line is easily enough replaced for you Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Didn't you have a Hyatt at one point as well?? @Anonymous

Nope only IHG.

Message 8 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

+1

The points transfer for me has also been totally worth both my $20K each Diners Club pair however unlike your choice with Premiere i been mulling over the Elite lately which as everyone knows carries a formidable enough $300 AF. Might keep the Elite at least one more year but like you just don't know yet.

With no long distance travel plans forthcoming that i can see right now it's a toss up ATM. The hidden TL was sweet while it lasted too.

If you have no real use for the Premiere that you can see i'm sure the line is easily enough replaced for you Smiley Wink

Yep, I can easily replace the line Magic. I have big plans for 2017! CSP,Citi HHonors,Alliant and Western CU. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 53
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

+1

Yep, I can easily replace the line Magic. I have big plans for 2017! CSP,Citi HHonors,Alliant and Western CU. Smiley Very Happy

I absolutely Love Alliant!!! too.

Likewise HHonors in 2017 unless they preapprove earlier. They just turned off my preapprovals for awhile (good thing too) Smiley LOL

You won't miss the $10K  for very long Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.