Original pros of DC Premier:

1) monster credit limit

2) hidden TL

3) good transfer partners

4) point transfers to WN count towards companion pass

5) chip & PIN default

7) contactless (paypass) payment

8) Lounge Club Diners Club Lounge access

In your case, (1) isn't that great at $10K. Pro (2) is no longer valid. Pros (3) and (8) can be duplicated with several other cards. Pro (5) can be achieved with First Tech FCU (MC) or UNFCU (Visa). That leaves pros (4) and (7). If you intend to transfer to WN for CP, keep it. If you really dig contactless payments, keep it. Otherwise, lose it.

I have the Elite which complicates the decision making process because of the 3x on gas, groceries (GENEROUSLY defined), and pharmacies. I still don't know what to do when my AF hits in November. I've been agonizing about it for months. I've considered UNFCU Elite (ironic that it has the same name) as a replacement due to the 2x points on restaurants and groceries.

Good post and info.  The only comment I have is that for most people getting a UN card is very difficult and time consuming so the addition of the card from First Tech CU is great for those looking for a true Chip and Pin card.

I read all of the MF threads regarding the UNFCU cards and you are absolutely correct about becoming a cardmember with them. What a PITA! I kind of want to accept the challenge just to see if I can do it but I'm worried that their customer service might be poor. It's hard to find reviews of their CS because their cards are so hard to come by.

The other problem with the UNFCU cards overseas is that they are Visas. I don't know if it's hyperbole but Visa cards are purported to charge unfavorable FX rates compared to MC and Amex.

Message 31 of 53
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Diners Club Premier Keep or Ditch?

@baller4life wrote:

Well I will be faced with this decision in the next few months whether to keep my Diners Club Premier or kick it to the curb. I personally don't see any use for it since it is currently a sd card and has a $95 annual fee. I do not travel abroad(where it truly shines). And every since it started reporting to all bureaus, it just lost its appeal to me. I am leaning heavily towards closing it. But, want to hear feedback from you guys. I understand the nostalgia of having a Diners Club card. Especially since it's uncertain when or if it's ever coming back. But, I am just not one of those people who likes to hang on to cards that I have absolutely no use for. It has a $10k limit. But, with $280k in total credit, I won't miss it. Keep or ditch? What say you? Smiley Very Happy

Baller definition= extraordinaire knowledgeable intelligent one who actually knows the answer 

No comment from me Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 32 of 53
galahad15
Valued Contributor

baller:  j/c, is it possible to PC to the AF-free Diners Professional card that BMO Harries lists on it's website?  I know they are not accepting any new apps at this time (and possibly never again), but the last time i checked, the card was still listed there.  That would allow you to nix the $95 AF, if a PC like that is hopefully permissible?

Message 33 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Well I will be faced with this decision in the next few months whether to keep my Diners Club Premier or kick it to the curb. I personally don't see any use for it since it is currently a sd card and has a $95 annual fee. I do not travel abroad(where it truly shines). And every since it started reporting to all bureaus, it just lost its appeal to me. I am leaning heavily towards closing it. But, want to hear feedback from you guys. I understand the nostalgia of having a Diners Club card. Especially since it's uncertain when or if it's ever coming back. But, I am just not one of those people who likes to hang on to cards that I have absolutely no use for. It has a $10k limit. But, with $280k in total credit, I won't miss it. Keep or ditch? What say you? Smiley Very Happy

Baller definition= extraordinaire knowledgeable intelligent one who actually knows the answer 

No comment from me Smiley Wink

LMAO! MJ you are hilarious! Smiley LOL

Message 34 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

baller:  j/c, is it possible to PC to the AF-free Diners Professional card that BMO Harries lists on it's website?  I know they are not accepting any new apps at this time (and possibly never again), but the last time i checked, the card was still listed there.  That would allow you to nix the $95 AF, if a PC like that is hopefully permissible?

Hmmm interesting. I have no idea. I would have to call and ask.

Message 35 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

I'll save you the time.  No you can't 

Message 36 of 53
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Thanks Irish! Well looks like ole DC's days are numbered. Thanks everyone for all your feedback. Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 53
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

An AF of $95 (for me) would be worth paying for a hidden TL. Now that the account reports to CRA's and if you are unable to PC or get the AF waived, I would ditch the account. I did not app for this one because I had a nasty gut feeling it was going to report at some point--the same feeling I have about Blispay. My oldest account approaching 26 years, I don't want my AAOA to take any hit whatsoever. Good luck with your decision!
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 38 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Irish, what is your plan for the Elite? I think we all have AF's due in the fall based on when the DC became available for apps. I didn't get the AF waiver last year for some reason even though others were sure everyone would—eventually. I'm curious what you have in mind

Message 39 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Irish, what is your plan for the Elite? I think we all have AF's due in the fall based on when the DC became available for apps. I didn't get the AF waiver last year for some reason even though others were sure everyone would—eventually. I'm curious what you have in mind

That sucks that your didn't get waived like most of us.  At this point I plan on keeping mine for the 3X groceries.  I've been transferring those points to SPG but I like that they also have Alaska Air and Hyatt.  I'll have to do some calculations between now and then to make sure I'm getting enough value to offset the AF.  The chip and pin and additional lounge access that I have from other cards tends to make me think I'll just keep it.

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.