tag
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Re: Diners Club Premier vs. Elite?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@JTC403 wrote:

I hear if you are approved for one

Say 25K for premier... i coudl apply again for elite?

You heard and read right. The 2nd app is for all purposes after the first approval a bonified shoe in, no questions asked. So be ready for that without worry or undo concern should you decide for that one too.

Still don't understand why people want to do this!   You end up paying the Premier AF just for the CL, as it offers no extra benefits over the uncapped  Elite.   That might be worth it for some, but you can get decent CLs on free cards!

basically you're paying for a card with a high limit that could be used as a crowbar to get higher limits out of banks such as citi, bofa, etc.  May be worth it to some who haven't broken the 10k barrier yet. 

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 11 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Still don't understand why people want to do this!   You end up paying the Premier AF just for the CL, as it offers no extra benefits over the uncapped  Elite.   That might be worth it for some, but you can get decent CLs on free cards!

Of course that's true enough longtimelurker but it still remains a hot card with very attractive starting limits when you compare to the wait period for some of your other lenders who no doubt might take take years to reach the point that Diner's is affording fresh out of the gate PERIOD. To nit pik over rewards is one aspect that already established cardholders have the luxury to scrutinize, but there are also many other positive factors for most others not yet in that comfortable minority, not the least of which can immediately be realized for them that will support going forward their own particular credit goals Smiley Wink 

You're paying for the chance to get a high limit. There's no gaurantee that you will get some astronomical figure and you just may not. People can do whatever with their money, it just doesn't make sense to me to pay an extra 300 or 95 just in hopes of getting a high limit. Keep in mind that just because one issuer gives a high limit doesn't mean that others will follow. As longtimelurker said, other places give high limits without risking an annual fee. Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Citi, and more recently Nasa Federal Credit Union are usually issuers that people get high limits from. Unless you need the extra credit, I don't see much benefit in the additional annual fee. Someone already tried to combine and was told no. BMO Harris has been issuing credit cards for a while, so it seems that they've no interest in doing such a thing.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navigatethis12 wrote:

You're paying for the chance to get a high limit. There's no gaurantee that you will get some astronomical figure and you just may not. People can do whatever with their money, it just doesn't make sense to me to pay an extra 300 or 95 just in hopes of getting a high limit. Keep in mind that just because one issuer gives a high limit doesn't mean that others will follow. As longtimelurker said, other places give high limits without risking an annual fee. Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Citi, and more recently Nasa Federal Credit Union are usually issuers that people get high limits from. Unless you need the extra credit, I don't see much benefit in the additional annual fee. Someone already tried to combine and was told no. BMO Harris has been issuing credit cards for a while, so it seems that they've no interest in doing such a thing.

yeah.. penfed, citi, nasa fcu all rejected me, so did amex and chase. I didn't apply for this card for high limit and I only got 5k on my card, but the benefits (not rewards) I get with this card is well worth 95.

Message 13 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@JTC403 wrote:

You heard and read right. The 2nd app is for all purposes after the first approval a bonified shoe in, no questions asked. So be ready for that without worry or undo concern should you decide for that one too.

basically you're paying for a card with a high limit that could be used as a crowbar to get higher limits out of banks such as citi, bofa, etc.  May be worth it to some who haven't broken the 10k barrier yet. 

My point was not arguing against getting the first card.   So you get the Elite, which, for some at least is worth the $300 AF.   You might get a nice CL, this has uncapped rewards and lots of other features that make it worthwhile.

What I don't get is why you would then get the Premier IN ADDITION!   This has no reward increase (as Elite is uncapped) so you are paying $95 for extra CL.  That's the bit I don't understand.   Your crowbar argument (which I don't think is true at all as it happens) is satisfied by the CL on the Elite.  So again, $95 for some CL when cheaper alternatives exist!

Message 14 of 17
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@JTC403 wrote:

My point was not arguing against getting the first card.   So you get the Elite, which, for some at least is worth the $300 AF.   You might get a nice CL, this has uncapped rewards and lots of other features that make it worthwhile.

What I don't get is why you would then get the Premier IN ADDITION!   This has no reward increase (as Elite is uncapped) so you are paying $95 for extra CL.  That's the bit I don't understand.   Your crowbar argument (which I don't think is true at all as it happens) is satisfied by the CL on the Elite.  So again, $95 for some CL when cheaper alternatives exist!

I agree that it makes no sense to have both.  But they seem to be issuing the second card with same limit you get on the first card.  For some they may think it'd be worth the extra $95 for a 25k limit.  I personally, like you, don't think so.

As far as the crowbar argument, there have been numerous instances where people have called up a bank (BofA is one I remember) and asked them to match their highest limit.  Doesn't always work but sometimes it does and they will.  Again the second card would still be useless in that situation. 

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 15 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah.. penfed, citi, nasa fcu all rejected me, so did amex and chase. I didn't apply for this card for high limit and I only got 5k on my card, but the benefits (not rewards) I get with this card is well worth 95.

I wasn't saying not to get the card at all. I was saying I don't see the benefit of having both, since the Elite has all of the benefits of the Premier.

Message 16 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course that's true enough longtimelurker but it still remains a hot card with very attractive starting limits when you compare to the wait period for some of your other lenders who no doubt might take take years to reach the point that Diner's is affording fresh out of the gate PERIOD. To nit pik over rewards is one aspect that already established cardholders have the luxury to scrutinize, but there are also many other positive factors for most others not yet in that comfortable minority, not the least of which can immediately be realized for them that will support going forward their own particular credit goals Smiley Wink 

Agreed, which also supports the advantage for some to apping for Diner's Club while that window is still open for this new consumer mastercard offers.

........it basically (like everything else in life) boils down to what is most beneficial for your own personal/business goals both short and/or long term after all is said and done isn't it?

And to add, Diner's Club certainly is not a NASA or other CU Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.