Super Contributor

Re: Diners Club cash advance

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Kenny wrote:
I hope they do offer a sign-up period soon.. I actually would pay for a hidden tradeline.

Aside from that special non-reporting "novelty", well-worth the AFs for both (including some premium perks on Elite).  I don't recall, but did you ever go through with applying for any of them back when apps were open?

Still don't get this!   If you get the Elite, why do you need the other?  ~ $100 just for some additional CL?  It's not as if the other has something the Elite doesn't (as compared to say PRG and Amex Plat)

The other thing I never understood about the joy of high CLs for this card is that the TL is hidden. Having a $50k CL will allow you to, in theory, run up big balances and not spook BMO Harris. But I don't know how it helps you otherwise since it's not factored into your FICO scores.

I guess it would be good for people who want to carry a big balance but not have it show on their accounts.  Sounds like an expensive endeavor, but if you wanted to carry $50k balance and not have it affect your utilization & scores, then this would be it.

Good point. Put an obscene amount of spend on the Diners Club card and have all but one of the other cards report $0.

^^^^^ This is what there is to luv about the card. Smiley Wink although i have tiny limit. 5k only but i can still use it and not have to affect my score. or util

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Kenny wrote:
I hope they do offer a sign-up period soon.. I actually would pay for a hidden tradeline.

Aside from that special non-reporting "novelty", well-worth the AFs for both (including some premium perks on Elite).  I don't recall, but did you ever go through with applying for any of them back when apps were open?

Still don't get this!   If you get the Elite, why do you need the other?  ~ $100 just for some additional CL?  It's not as if the other has something the Elite doesn't (as compared to say PRG and Amex Plat)

The other thing I never understood about the joy of high CLs for this card is that the TL is hidden. Having a $50k CL will allow you to, in theory, run up big balances and not spook BMO Harris. But I don't know how it helps you otherwise since it's not factored into your FICO scores.

I guess it would be good for people who want to carry a big balance but not have it show on their accounts.  Sounds like an expensive endeavor, but if you wanted to carry $50k balance and not have it affect your utilization & scores, then this would be it.

Good point. Put an obscene amount of spend on the Diners Club card and have all but one of the other cards report $0.

^^^^^ This is what there is to luv about the card. Smiley Wink although i have tiny limit. 5k only but i can still use it and not have to affect my score. or util

I have the Elite. The AF is virtually impossible to justify especially having DW as an AU for an additional $150. Don't know what I'm going to do in the fall when renewal comes around. I don't think they allow PC-ing. I'm almost hoping they nerf the Eilte so I can bow out with no regrets. Otherwise, I'm going to have a very difficult decision to make. My favorite card feature is the generous definition of grocery stores. Coming from Amex products, it's a refreshing difference.

Others have expressed a desire for 3x categories to change but IMO the travel and dining bonus categories are highly competitive. I can't imagine paying $300 + $150 for 3x dining when 2x is readily available for a LOT less.

Message 22 of 28
taxi818
Super Contributor

That's a shame. Very hard to justify. Undo have premier. But wow. Did not think of au. Maybe I would just suck it up and keep card. Eventually you will use. What's your limit?
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

40K.

90% sure I'm going to keep it if they don't nerf it. Especially if canceling the card means I'll never get another chance to get it. I admit that keeping it is illogical. That's how much I like that stupid card Smiley Sad

Message 24 of 28
taxi818
Super Contributor

Hehehe. I feel ya.
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

I have the Elite. The AF is virtually impossible to justify especially having DW as an AU for an additional $150. Don't know what I'm going to do in the fall when renewal comes around. I don't think they allow PC-ing. I'm almost hoping they nerf the Eilte so I can bow out with no regrets. Otherwise, I'm going to have a very difficult decision to make. My favorite card feature is the generous definition of grocery stores. Coming from Amex products, it's a refreshing difference.

Others have expressed a desire for 3x categories to change but IMO the travel and dining bonus categories are highly competitive. I can't imagine paying $300 + $150 for 3x dining when 2x is readily available for a LOT less.

That's why I'm thinking they're going to combine both cards into one and drop/raise? the AF to something maybe slightly above the $99 level it's at now. They might be able to justify a slight premium over the CSP's AF due to there being a PIN on the chip.

Message 26 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

That's why I'm thinking they're going to combine both cards into one and drop/raise? the AF to something maybe slightly above the $99 level it's at now. They might be able to justify a slight premium over the CSP's AF due to there being a PIN on the chip.

Highly doubtful.  There were no other relevant changes (i.e. perks or otherwise) to their other card programs even post-acquisition from Citibank.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Highly doubtful.  There were no other relevant changes (i.e. perks or otherwise) to their other card programs even post-acquisition from Citibank.

The Professional cards are also 1x for everything like Premier so there isn't really any motivation to change them. Even though yeah, they probably should have at least gotten no FTF like the newer cards.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.