Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diners Club

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Diners Club

So, someone brought up a discussion about charge cards earlier, and I mentioned that Diners Club offered the only other charge cards I could think of other than Amex. Well, do they still offer cards? Is it possible to apply for one? I can't find a way to apply on their website.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Diners Club

www dot dinersclub dot com
Message 2 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You have to apply over the phone. Call this number 1.877.263.5018 and wait for a CSR.
Message 3 of 8
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Ah, how quaint Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 8
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Acquisition by Discover Card

In April 2008, Discover Card and Citibank announced that Discover would purchase the Diners Club Network from Citi for $165 million. In May 2008, the U.S. approved the transaction. Discover stated that the Diners Club network, which is a major network outside North America will be merged with the Discover Network which is a major network in North America, creating an international network for Discover Cards and Diners Club cards. Diners Club cards will continue to be issued by Diners Club International licensees, including Citibank. Discover Bank has no plans on issuing Diners Club branded cards. Discover purchased the network, but not the licensees issuing the cards. The deal was completed on July 1, 2008.Acquisition by Discover Card

I had a Diners Club card years ago and in many ways it was my favorite card. I used to rent a car by the month (for about a year) and the charge went onto my DC. It was also great for international travel. Unfortunately, it bit the dust along with almost all of the rest of my round 1 CC's.

Message 5 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Carte Blanche is/was a charge card. I let mine expire in 1988 and did not accept a renewal. Nobody takes it any more, at least not in my little circle.

Diners Club International is another charge card that doesn't seem to have much acceptance anymore.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 8
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Diners now works on the MC exchange, or at least did. I think it still will. Citi apparently is still going to issue Diners, since Discover is only going to run it as an interchange.
Message 7 of 8
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

The idea is that by purchasing the DC network world-wide Discover will be able to increase its overseas acceptance, which is currently nil. Carte Blance is the tonier version of DC and carries the DC name on it as well. As issued by Citi they both sport a MC logo. There is no plan to move this card to the Discover/Pulse network at this time and the corporate transaction is a work in progress.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.