Did you mean: 

Diners Premier 22k spend

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Diners Premier 22k spend

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Although I do not suggest anyone do this, however, I racked up about 22,000 amongst a few days on the premier card. First statement has not posted, and no payments have been made as of yet. I will be paying it off next week, and I wanted to share the spending ability of this card! Also, a MAJOR FYI, I didn't have my pin for a emv transaction, instead they hovered the card over the merchant device, and KABOOM, PAYMENT WENT THROUGH WIRELESSLY!

Huh. I didn't see the icon on the back, but now reading closer, it does have "PayPass" which is the MasterCard NFC apparently.

How much was the transaction that did not require the PIN?

I see where it says pay pass or cirrus. but your are saying it will work if i just wave the card?? hmm interesting.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just spent another 6,000 today on it. No hick up, wireless transaction, and no fraud alerts! I love this card

Message 12 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just spent another 6,000 today on it. No hick up, wireless transaction, and no fraud alerts! I love this card

+1

In spite of the staffing ordeals going on at Diner's per say, the card itself is definitely performing up to expectations without issue as well as the Rewards are posting spot on! Loving it that DC is a hidden TL although i won't even need approach 50% spend on it for at least for a few months down the road.

Message 13 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
NRB: the person did the emv for $9500, it asked for a pin, I had a photo of it on my iPhone but it took me way to long to find it. The transaction cancelled on its own, and the salesperson said lets try to wirelessly use it and boom approved!

Yikes! no PIN? Where's the security?

Smiley Surprised

The Diner's Club card does NOT have contactless EMV, it has contactless magnetic stripe data (thus, verified by signature) and contact EMV.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 14 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
NRB: the person did the emv for $9500, it asked for a pin, I had a photo of it on my iPhone but it took me way to long to find it. The transaction cancelled on its own, and the salesperson said lets try to wirelessly use it and boom approved!

Smiley Surprised

The Diner's Club card does NOT have contactless EMV, it has contactless magnetic stripe data (thus, verified by signature) and contact EMV.

So, apparently the "signature" part was skipped by the merchant in that case. My Yikes is unresolved.

In answer to Taxi, I went out yesterday and was able to get McDonalds with the contactless. Boom! Approved! Smiley Tongue

However, not to get too far off topic, I also tried to use the EMV+PIN at a Chase ATM to get a $100 cash advance to test the system. While it let me log in with my PIN, and I got a menu, there was no way to get either a balance report, or two kinds of cash advance out of the terminal. All three were "denied". Going inside the branch I was able to get the advance. I called the DC line and they said, yeah, even though MasterCard lists these Chase ATM's as "EMV-PIN compatible", Diners Club is having trouble working with them, So, yet another "challenge" for the DC roll out.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Surprised

So, apparently the "signature" part was skipped by the merchant in that case. My Yikes is unresolved.

In answer to Taxi, I went out yesterday and was able to get McDonalds with the contactless. Boom! Approved! Smiley Tongue

However, not to get too far off topic, I also tried to use the EMV+PIN at a Chase ATM to get a $100 cash advance to test the system. While it let me log in with my PIN, and I got a menu, there was no way to get either a balance report, or two kinds of cash advance out of the terminal. All three were "denied". Going inside the branch I was able to get the advance. I called the DC line and they said, yeah, even though MasterCard lists these Chase ATM's as "EMV-PIN compatible", Diners Club is having trouble working with them, So, yet another "challenge" for the DC roll out.

Good info. I was able to wave my card in front of register. And it worked. But transaction declined. Had to swipe. Now on cash advance. Are they gonna charge you thru the roof? I think other lenders may find out about it? 

Message 16 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Surprised

Good info. I was able to wave my card in front of register. And it worked. But transaction declined. Had to swipe. Now on cash advance. Are they gonna charge you thru the roof? I think other lenders may find out about it? 

Yes, the Cash Advance fee is 4% of the amount, and the interest rate on the cash advance is 22.24% from the day the advance is given, so yeah, I'll have to pay for the test. Let's see, $100 cash advance test, $4 fee, probably $3 for Chase, and $4 for the 22% interest by the time I pay it on the next statement. $11 Ouch! Smiley Tongue

But now I know not to rely on the Chase ATM until further notice.

Not sure what other lenders are going to find out, it's just a balance on my account now?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used my AU card coutts & co to pay my school bills (which i was told to do so from my father), used 30k+ for tuition at the register office, went through with no problem, just needed to sign. The card is based in UK but used it here in US without needing pin number, i never have one lol or they never give me one who knows.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't even need to call them before you make a large purchase regardless of your proximity to "home". I was 1300 miles from my home address over thanksgiving and ran 29K purchase through my premier in one transaction. I had previously called to let them know I was traveling (before a previous trip) and they said that I didn't need to call unless I was leaving the US. Charge went through fine and on this particular trip I hadn't even notified them of travel. 

Edit for this additional information: I had already put a number of other purchases through this card in the 5k-14K range and upon returning home from the purchase paid online within a few days. I have only had the card for one billing statement and still no card shutdown. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.